Cooking for 100....HELP!

Igotgas

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A friend of mine passed away and I have been asked to smoke some butts for pulled pork sammies for his memorial. I nwas told that there could possibly be as many as 100 people. I have never cooked for more than 10 people at once and I am , to say the least, nervous. How much pork do I need? What is the best way to keep it warm? I really do not like my pulled pork drowned in sauce so I dont think a crockpot will work. I am planning to start the night before and have it ready to come off about 3-4 hours before the memorial. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks
Chad

If 100 guests is the #, figure x 1/3 of a lb/each = 33 lbs cooked pork

That could be 60-70 lbs of uncooked pork...

That's about 10 pork butts... If you're timing is right and you really have them ready 3-4 hrs before, you can just rest them in a cooler or two..

Just remember if your at the memorial, you'll need some time to pull all the butts and put into hotel pans. If you choose to do this earlier, I think you can get away with some apple juice and sauce and warm in the oven.

+1 to above. Sounds right.

Don't sweat it man. Last year I cooked for 250 and was equally anxious and it all worked out. Just do what you know only on a larger scale. Don't overthink it. It'll all be fine.

Most of the time there be lot of other food there so I would go with less. if it like around here there be tons of food

I'm sorry for your loss, bro. The most I've cooked for is 30. So, good luck with your cook. I'm sure you will do great and get some good advice here.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I think I will just fill my smoker up, It should hold about 40-50 pounds in there, and call it good. Jestridge you are probably right and I am going to have to count on that becuse I don't have a very big smoker. Thanks Militant for the apple juice and warm oven tip. I will let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks again
Chad

Use smaller hamburger type buns rather than large 4" buns...it will "stretch" the meat a little further since you aren't cooking 70 lbs of raw pork shoulder and give you more sandwiches with less meat.

Back