Char-Grill Quick Set Question

Hoorenga

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, "when is this fool going to just buy a dam smoker". I did a road trip to a Wal Mart just south of here in a more rural area figurin' they just might have the Bandera. What they do have is the Char Broil Quick set which is sort of a barrel with a side fire box. It was $169. I don't want to buy another low end smoker but if this one is in the same class as the Bandera as far as keeping a fire and cooking abilities, mabye I should just go for it? I don't need the cooking space of the Bandera. I apologize for being such a nusiance.

Hoo,

I don't see a danged thing wrong with that unit. It's similar to all the other round, two-chamber offset smokers. Me, I'd go for it and "buy a dam smoker, fool." ;)

You're in 'analysis paralysis' now!

Arlin

I answered this in another recent (today) thread.

I've got one - I put a baffle on it out of 20 gauge sheet metal. I cut and bent a simple charcoal basket.

I put on firegrate in the firebox, throw in the charcoal basket, fire off charcoal, add wood, and cook.

I've had it about 1.5 years and have cooked brisket, pork butt, chicken, beer can chicken, turkey, etc. etc. etc.

For $150-175 you won't find better. It is horizontal and has a hot spot near the firebox end - great for finishing chicken.

You have to keep a decent coal bed going. You have to learn how to adjust the damper (typically, leave the chimney wide open) to control your heat. An analog thermometer (like from Walmart) works fine in the lid (predrilled) for giving you an idea of what the heat is. But, as always, meat close to thermometer or blocking air flow will change the reading.

The only way you're ever gonna get a handle on cooking que it to COOK. We'll happily answer questions, but Dude, we can't cook it for you.

I think Arlin had it right, I'm in "analysis paralysis". It easy for me to do. I know I look like an idiot from the other end of this discussion but I don't have a lot to choose from out her on the West Coast and I want to get the bigest bang for my buck. There is some lousy equipment on the market. I just don't want another unit that I'm going to be wanting to move out of next season. I'm doing some pretty good BBQ now, that's the reason I'm looking for a new unit. It.s a reward to myself for getting this far. And don't think I don't apreciate you guys and the time you all take to walk me through this stuff. It may not show but I have learned quite a bit in the short time I have been hanging out here. You are great. I'll calm down here shortly, buy my smoker and be a regular contributing member I promis.
Hoo

In the words of whoever it was, in the midst of a panic attack: "Don't just do something, damnit, stand there!!" :D

I give you the same advice I give people that ask me about buying a PC: decide how much you want to spend, what you want to do with it (in this case cook for # people), then go buy a cooker!!

For 3-4 you absolutely can't do wrong with a WSM. They are good looking, easy to clean, relatively cheap, have their own support website www.virtualweberbullet.com, etc. etc. etc. They burn charcoal and wood chunks - set it up, dial it in, and relax while waiting for the que.

An offset is the same price but will burn wood or combo. Takes a lot more effort to keep the temp steady. Puts out some good que but you have to work for it.

Bandera, clone, etc: greater capacity. needs some mods. can burn wood only, charcoal only, or combo. Takes practice. Costs more than either the offset or the WSM.

So, decide what you'll spend and go get it.

Cook something!!

For 3-4 you absolutely can't do wrong with a WSM. They are good looking, easy to clean, relatively cheap, have their own support website www.virtualweberbullet.com, etc. etc. etc. They burn charcoal and wood chunks - set it up, dial it in, and relax while waiting for the que.

Agreed 300%

Can't go wrong.

Hoorenga said:
I'll calm down here shortly, buy my smoker and be a regular contributing member I promis.
Hoo

Well, I wouldn't say you aren't a regular contributor, Hoo, but I think we'd rather see you take the plunge, you know?

I mean, don't MAKE us write poetry about you....

I could spend a happy morning
Smelling Q
I could spend a happy morning
Being Hoo.
But it just won’t ever matter,
If I don't get off my a$$,
And sit and worry-worry
What to do.

:lol:

Adapted, of course!

Yeah, thats me, I like to get good and worked up about somethin' before I take the plunge. It really irritates my wife too. I eventualy build up enough momentum to reach critical mass. Didn't know we had a poetry section.

Dude, the best thing for you to do, is to go get ANY smoker, do some ribs, a brisket, a pork butt, COOK some meat. Then in about 1 - 2 years, you are going to go through all this again. There is no problem with wanting to get the "best" bang for your buck. But until you get SOME kind of smoker, you AINT making Q.

I was on ebay last night, yeah they looked interesting. The Treager went for $566 plus shipping, which isn't a bad price. The Bradley is up to $370 which is a bit high. Cabela's sells the black model for $299 plus shipping. Looks like an effecient and easy to use rig. You have to buy their special wood pucks though and they arn't cheap. I think it's a Webber for me. That way when and if I ever do find my dream smoker I'll still have my Webber. Besides, I need to mellow out some and get back to Qing. I'm sure you'll all agree. Trying beans again tonight. I'll see if I can avoid burning the house down this time. The wife said the only thing she was still mad at me for after I burned the first batch and nearly the house as well was that I didn't burn the counter top. Our insurance is replacing the vinyl flooring.

Hoo

Must be something in the air. All this talk of a new smoker has me thinking of getting a new one. Due to size restrictions, I may go with the WSM. Now to figure someway to sneak it by the wife, she has the checkbook :(

I had a ECB water smoker for years and loved it. I steped up to the bandera because I wanted to increase the quantity I could cook. But I do some times miss the RONCO like "set it and forget it" ease of those little water smokers. For the price range you're looking at and larger quantity not being an issue I'd have to think a WSM would be just about heaven.

Hoorenga said:
I was on ebay last night, yeah they looked interesting. The Treager went for $566 plus shipping, which isn't a bad price. The Bradley is up to $370 which is a bit high. Cabela's sells the black model for $299 plus shipping.

Hoo

You can buy a lot of brick for that money......

racer_81 said:
Hoorenga said:
I was on ebay last night, yeah they looked interesting. The Treager went for $566 plus shipping, which isn't a bad price. The Bradley is up to $370 which is a bit high. Cabela's sells the black model for $299 plus shipping.

Hoo

You can buy a lot of brick for that money......

But its the grout that sets you back.

Back