• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Butt Man or Breast Man

Wrench_H

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention, why not both??? I've worked 4 straight 19+ hour days, and our deliverable went out at 3:30 last night. So I thought this would be a great opportunity to "Work from Home" and get in my first smoke of 2011. The turkey breast was brined for about 52 hours, and soaked overnight last night. The rub for the butt is something I got for Christmas and am trying out for the first time (Anybody tried it before?). I'm pretty stoked, I haven't cooked a butt in a long time. Both are on the smoker and I'll post some more pron throughout the day. Thanks for looking.

DSC02459.jpg

[Since I don't know what is your equipment or strategy... hence the below statement]

Just a fyi... do not leave the bird in the same pan DURING the cook... use two separate pans to prevent cross-contamination.

I actually took them both out of the pan, and cooked them straight on the rack. Thanks for the heads up.

Just pulled the turkey breast off to rest for a little while. It cooked between 240 and 250 for about 3.5 hours. Internal temp was a little higher than I wanted, but hopefully the brine will save me. I pulled it at 166.

DSC02466.jpg

Nothing wrong with a lil' T & A! :mod:

I've tried byron's butt rub (but not on butts :crazy::confused:) I didn't care for it too much - waaay to much salt in it IMO, and I LOVE me some salt...

Salt is cheap, I'd rather a company make a product that was lower salt and more quality ingredients. That way I can add salt if I need it.

Great looking breast too! Looking forward to seeing the butt!

Here is the butt after just short of 6 hours, internal temp is at 155. I wrapped it in some brown sugar, apple juice, and red pepper and moved it to the gas smoker so that I can stop watching it so closely and get a little work done. I'm getting hungry, can't wait for dinner.

DSC02468.jpg

Yeah, butts are for appetizers and breasts are main course eats. As for the Byron's I have used it on ribs. If I remember right, lots of pepper. :confused: Those are some nice looking eats you got there. :eusa_clap

Honesty I'm kinda partial to BOTH!!!

Nice looking cook, thanks for sharing.

I'm with Knucklehead, BBR is pretty salty for my taste.

I like them both too on the smoker and off Good looking eats there Wrench

Okay, everything is finally done, and the belly is full. Here are some pics of the turkey sliced for sandwiches all week, and the butt before and after pulling. I agree the rub was a little salty, but the sugar and apple juice offset that a little. I can't complain, I ate pretty good today :-D

DSC02479.jpg

DSC02484.jpg

DSC02489.jpg

DSC02490.jpg

Looks great Wrench_H! What is the tool in the last pic? Modded cookie cutter for shredding?

Looks great Wrench_H! What is the tool in the last pic? Modded cookie cutter for shredding?

Its just a biscuit cutter that I use for fine chopping. The only problem is they bend pretty easily. I've been through 3 of them in the last year or so.

Back