Zoo B Que... Good Lord!!!

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Talk about expensive!!! We WERE considering it but the entry is $250 for a decent size space and $200 for a tiny 20x15 site! :eek: They also want an additional $25 for electric. And no early bird discounts like a lot of contests around here. Wow! So you guys who cooked it last year... was it worth it? I know us and HoDeDo were planning on taking both families up for that one. Depends on how money holds out now I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, did you get that info from Marsha? Checked the website and there was no info at all. We went to check that one out last year before our first comp last year. We were thinking about doin this one since they changed the date from July when it was hotter than hell. It was their first effort and I think that they had some major issues goin on. Talked with one team who said then they wouldn't do this one again.

gary

Yep, Gary, I did. I know a couple Brethren cooked it and liked it from what I recall. I emailed Marsha and asked for the info. I'll attach it here. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Attachments

• Zoo B Que contestant app 2007.doc
    39 KB · Views: 27
  • Zoo B Que 2007 Awards.doc
    24 KB · Views: 17
Menemonee Falls is the following weekend.... so we were toying with staying the whole week and hitting them both. That seems a little high, but we are blessed with low entry fees in the midwest. Menemonee Falls has similar fees. We'll see, we plan on it still....

FWIW, $200 is our lowest around here. $225-$275 is typical, and there is at least one that's $300 that we just had. It was well worth it though.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Yep, Gary, I did. I know a couple Brethren cooked it and liked it from what I recall. I emailed Marsha and asked for the info. I'll attach it here. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Jeff,

When we first thought about competing in one of these Racine is where we went to check it out and really liked what we saw and it made our decision to compete a lot easier. I only had one team that said anything to me and it more about turn out for teams and that it seemed kinda unorganized.

EDIT: I can understand any event bbq or not that is a first time event having some difficulties

That being said, even with the cost I believe that we will do this comp.

gary

Jeff,

Do you know what the optional open class will be?

gary

ggriffi said:
Jeff,

Do you know what the optional open class will be?

gary

They will have a people's choice (meat they provide), a desert catagory..... and a Kid's Q

Just saw the e-mail from Marsha this morning. I haven't opened it yet, but do plan on competing. It is an excellent venue for a comp.

We had a good time there last year (except for the heat). They were somewhat restrictive with access after hours, but i don't think it was a problem. They also asked us to keep it quiet after 11pm for the animals, but again, I didn't hear anyone complain about that.

The only issue that I noticed was the Meerkats. They kept staring at me! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... the lion roaring at 2:00AM was a bit disconcerting.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Talk about expensive!!! We WERE considering it but the entry is $250 for a decent size space and $200 for a tiny 20x15 site! :eek: They also want an additional $25 for electric. And no early bird discounts like a lot of contests around here. Wow! So you guys who cooked it last year... was it worth it? I know us and HoDeDo were planning on taking both families up for that one. Depends on how money holds out now I suppose.

Like some other have said, that's in the ballpark for what we usually pay around here...some a bit less, some up to $300. We've frequently paid an additional fee for guaranteed electric...but then, we usually have an RV and it's worth the few extra bucks to be able to run the a/c and microwave.:-D

chad said:
Like some other have said, that's in the ballpark for what we usually pay around here...some a bit less, some up to $300. We've frequently paid an additional fee for guaranteed electric...but then, we usually have an RV and it's worth the few extra bucks to be able to run the a/c and microwave.:-D

I guess we're just a bit spoiled around here. With so many contests in the MoKan area, most contests are $175 to $150 to enter.

Ron_L said:
The only issue that I noticed was the Meerkats. They kept staring at me! :rolleyes:

Well you know those Meerkats. They don't seem to be bothered by politeness.:roll:

Back