My 1st Contest

indianagriller

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys
Wanted to say that I competed in my first ever BBQ Contest down in Madison,In for the Amateur Competition. All the contestants were really nice, the weather was beautiful, and overall we had a blast. Going into it we just didn't want to finish DAL. It went pretty well, we got our first call in our first contest. In brisket we took 1st out of about 35 teams. Not sure how well we did in chicken,ribs, or pork they only named top 3 at the contest. So now i have a pretty sweet banner hanging in my front room. Any input on these turn in boxes would be great.

100_0927.jpg

Brisket

100_0926.jpg

Pork

100_0925.jpg

Ribs

100_0924.jpg

Chicken

IMAGE_072.jpg

Sweet Banner...

Congrats on the win!.

If could be the picture but both the brisket and the pork look really dry.

The pork was a bit on the dry side, but the brisket was pretty juicy, it had an amazing flavor to it.I am still learning the UDS I have burnt a few pieces of meat the last few weeks.

Here are my suggestions and keep in mind that I have 1 fewer banner than you do. :-D

My first impression was that the chicken was the most appealing looking meat to eat. Most of the garnish seemed to give the impression that the meat was "down" in the box because it comes up the sides so much. Try a box with the meat "higher" in the box by using less lettuce or resting more of it on a thicker bed of garnish.

The brisket photo looks like there might have been some fat in one of the slices. When I looked at this, my "cook" part of my brain thought this was near the end or edge of the brisket. Remember, you can cut nice slices from anywhere on the brisket.

The pork did look dry, but even moist pork without sauce can show up dry in a photo.

The rib photo, the front middle two ribs look like they might have been from the end of the rack, but that might be the angle of the photo. I like to push them closer together to try and match the way a slab of ribs looks in a tv commercial.

I liked the way the chicken itself looked, however see the garnish comment above.

Congratulations! :-D BTW, how is the view from cloud 9? :-D

Thanks for the tips, I am still learning the ropes and never thought that I would do that well. I am still pretty clueless on the whole garnish in the box thing. as well as other presentation. I guess practice makes perfect. I have already signed up for two more comps in the next two months... It was pretty exciting to hear your name being called for 1st. We thought that we may have placed in sauce, we never thought about brisket or any of the other meats for that matter.

I'm not an expert by no means since I have only done 2 comps so far but I am gearing up for a busy schedule starting in October.

My thoughts are that you want to try to use an electric filet knife for your ribs & brisket. It gives a much smoother cut on your brisket. You can also dredge your brisket slices in your au jus just before boxing or spray them. I didn't notice a smoke ring on the ribs but it could just be the picture.

Congrats on the win and don't give up if you don't walk in your next comp. That is what happened to me. :)

There was a tiny smoke ring on the ribs, I put them into the drum and they cooked a little too hot for about an hour while i was dealing with other things. Thanks for the tip on the electric knife. Keep it coming guys I need all the help I can get.

Looks good. What is the that green wavy stuff under the meat?

I'm a newby myself and am learning with ya brother so i have nothing to add the your main question. but there was one thing in your post that no one else addressed, you did not know how you did in the other category's. if it was a K.C.B.S. sanctioned event then you should have gotten a 5 or 6 page packet of the results from the K.C.B.S. reps for that event. you can also look on-line @ http://www.kcbs.us/index.php

Congrats on a great job! Now you're hooked :-D

You mentioned that you have signed u for two others competitions? Are these amateur events or regular KCBS events? You've already gone through the experience of cooking all four meats and getting them turned in on time so why not do a KCBS event? Go for it!

I would love to do the KCBS events, but I do not have the extra cash to register at this point, I would absolutely do it.

I'm a newby myself and am learning with ya brother so i have nothing to add the your main question. but there was one thing in your post that no one else addressed, you did not know how you did in the other category's. if it was a K.C.B.S. sanctioned event then you should have gotten a 5 or 6 page packet of the results from the K.C.B.S. reps for that event. you can also look on-line @ http://www.kcbs.us/index.php

I started in the Madison Backyard. It is a great contest, but there is no score sheet that goes with it. That is for the professional cooks. I think a score sheet would be great, but Steve Thomas told me a long time ago that they just do not have the time since the contest is very limited on time anyway. At least they do tell some teams to stay for the awards and others that they can pack up if they want. At least you know that you are going to get an award that night. Congratulations on the walk. the banner looks great!
by the way... I saw your drum. It looked great!

Hey Indiana
You Might Consider the Hoosier Daddy Event in Oct, Our Backyard will consist of the KCBS Four Meat Catagory, 1/2 hr Turn In Times, KCBS Scoring, everything like cooking and competing on the Pro Level but without Electric, water hookups and half the cost.. should make for a good measuring stick for guys wanting to see how they measure up and getting the experience and education at half the cost.
PLUS the Little Daddy Trophy would look awesome next to your Banner
just a thought to consider,, Congrats on your Win ~ Porkchop

Juicybuttsbbq, that is actually one of the events i am going to do, just have to wait until payday to register. I am really looking forward to it. I am also doing a Ribs and Chicken contest in Oldham County , Ky on september 12.

That's quite an accomplishment, congratulations. If I can toss in a couple things here: Some of the brisket slices look like they were cut with the grain instead of against. And can I suggest you sauce your pork - your competition is doing it and yours will seem flat by comparison - never mind that a kcbs judge should not be scoring based on a comparison. Finally, May I suggest searching the forum and google for turn in box pictures. Observe the symmetry of the samples and the evenness of the greens - the colors, fullness and tidyness.

Back