What to build, offset or cabinet

Royalslover

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm cooking on a uds which I love but I need more space. I'm going to build one and I waver back and forth between them. If I'm correct offsets use more convection than cabinets but cabinets are more efficient. I have my eye on a 250 gallon air compressor tank down at the junk yard. For those of you that have used both what do you think. I prefer to cook with charcoal but would be open to sticks if I can keep it fairly efficient so I don't have to mind temps all day. I'm getting more and more requests from framily for bbq so I would need space for maybe 15 items at a time.

If you are pressed for space, a cabinet can give you more cooking space with less of a footprint.

If you don't want to mind temps all day and prefer charcoal, go with a vertical. If you want something you can fit a whole hog in, go for an offset.

One of these: charcoal n chunks like UDS or Stickburning - both work well I hear.

Last edited:
I'm cooking on a uds which I love but I need more space. I'm going to build one and I waver back and forth between them. If I'm correct offsets use more convection than cabinets but cabinets are more efficient. I have my eye on a 250 gallon air compressor tank down at the junk yard. For those of you that have used both what do you think. I prefer to cook with charcoal but would be open to sticks if I can keep it fairly efficient so I don't have to mind temps all day. I'm getting more and more requests from framily for bbq so I would need space for maybe 15 items at a time.
If you want an offset, make a vertical offset like mine (see avatar)! It's the best of both worlds!:wink:

I put a cabinet on top of my UDS

The cabinet was for holding hotel trays and was insulated. I paind $10 for it. I then made an opening in the top and bottom by cutting out and welding some short lengths of 4-inch pipe with a damper on the top to control air flow . Finally, I made some cutouts to weld to the bottom of the cabinet that matched the diameter of the UDS. Here's a low-res pic:

Attachments

• marks cabinet smoker1.jpg
    marks cabinet smoker1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 161
I'd like to see more pictures of both those verticals. I like all those set ups.

I have built and cook on both, RF offsets and a few (uninsulated) verticals (SmittyJonz posted a build link to one of ours). The verticals can run charcoal (lump or brickettes) or small splits just fine. With charcoal, they don't need quite as much attention as burning sticks and they tend to cook a little hotter than the RF offsets, at least the way I've built them. To me the greatest advantage of the verticals is a very small footprint for a pretty good sized cooking area. I'll add a couple more build links on edit in a moment. Be happy to answer any questions you might have.

EDIT: These are my current projects, there is a link at the beginning of the thread to the first generation build.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184141

What to drive, automatic or 5 speed? If you want to drive down the highway, text on your phone, read a book and take a nap, drive an automatic (cabinet). If you want to feel the road and concentrate on the driving, drive a 5 speed (stick burner).

I'm trying to be prolific not sarcastic but you get the idea. If I was you I'd build the cabinet and use it without much attention while I build the stick. It really is fun to have both :)

I'd go the offset route and even if you do a offset vertical be sure to put a cooking grate over the FB so you can sear poultry, burgers, wings etc...etc..

Too many things taste better with a direct heat sear and if you build just a cabinet it won't be able to do that.

Back