Prime Rib Cooking Temp

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm doing a prime rib tomorrow for the family Christmas. I was planning to go to an IT of 130, then to rest for 30 minutes or so.

As I've researched on here I see that most really prefer the lower and slower method about 225 cooking temp. I was planning to go about 300 cooking temp.

Is there really a preferred method?

Higher temp will get you home, but you won't get the uniform pink color throughout the meat. The closer to the exterior you get from the center, you'll get meat that is more done than the center....noticeable more.

The only benefit to higher temperature is how quickly it will cook. Personally, I'd rather cook lower because it will retain moisture better, and you'll be less likely to overcook the meat. Best of luck.

I do mine at 250* and pull at 125* IT. They come out perfect every time

2 hours or so. This one one of the few cooks I do use the Maverick for. It is hard to predict without seeing the roast and knowing the weight.

I agree. I take my Maverick out once a year and watch it (the Maverick) like a hawk, as it always loses the signal at least once. I cook at 225* and it seems I plan about 3.5 hours total. There is no "wrong" cooking temp for rib roast. They're always good, but the lower the temp, the more uniform it is. If you like the outer cap more well done, then cook at higher temp.

I assumed it was just mine, and that it was a hateful device, as it will run fine, to about 120F, then it loses signal. Sometimes, it teases me, and cuts out at 115F, then flashes on and off as I hobble up and down the stairs.

If you want to see the differences in cooking temps, there is an illustration here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148724&page=2

I just wanted to post a few pics to clarify the difference in cooking temperatures. The roast I cooked and reverse-seared below was cooked initially at 225*:

IMG_4578.jpg

You can clearly see that the pinkness extends all the way to the edge of the roast. The one below was cooked by Ron_l at 275*:

IMG_4172.jpg

You can see that the outer edges are cooked a bit more than the center. Note also that he does not perform a reverse sear, but just does a slow roast the entire time. Here is one cooked by Boshizzle at 325*;

picture.php

The outer cap is well done now and the inner portion is medium rare. Note also that every roast shown is absolutely delicious! :hungry:

There are three points to this:
1. Different cooking temperatures will give you a different product. The higher the temperature, the greater the doneness gradient in the meat. This is true for everything you cook. It is why we cook smaller pieces of meat at higher temperatures than large pieces.
2. There is no "right way" as all of them taste absolutely delicious!
3. Rib roast is easy. How many things can you vary the cooking temperature by 100* (or more) and still have a great product?

I assumed it was just mine, and that it was a hateful device, as it will run fine, to about 120F, then it loses signal. Sometimes, it teases me, and cuts out at 115F, then flashes on and off as I hobble up and down the stairs.

Mine doesn't flash on and off. It just shows the same temperature while the actual temperature is rising. It appears to be in a stall, which no meat should at 115* -- yeah, it always happens just before you want to take it off. I don't know how many times I've been close to destroying good pieces of meat because of this. Every year I swear I'm going to replace it, but I only use it once or twice a year when I cook a rib roast. I hate Maverick.

First off, I am cooking a 4 boner so it is pretty good sized. I start at 220 to get a little smoke for 2 hours then crank to 250 until done. 125 or so. Then let it rest in a Cambro or ice chest wrapped in towels until the wife says it's time. That can be from 30 minutes up to 3 hours.... Same pink color all the way through.

FWIW, mine is a 5-boner (I'm compensating, Marty :mrgreen:) and it's 6.23 pounds, plus a no-boner about 2 inches thick for those who like steak more than prime rib.

I will likely get to Iowa about noon and plan to eat about 5:00 or so...whenever the family gets there. From the looks of this, I will likely get the UDS going about 1:00.

Kinda nice that I'm cooking the supper on my brother's Christmas present I made for him. He better use it or I'm taking it back!

So if I do it at 250, how long should I cook it to bring the IT to 125-130?

I can share these cooking times / temps. You need to take into account the carry over temp rise.

Using the 220°-250°pit temps, and a smaller boneless roast, you can expect a 5° to 8° rise in the internal temperature stated below while the roast is resting on the cutting board.. A larger bone-in roast might rise 8° to 12°. All the temperatures reported below are when the roast is still in the cooker, so take into account the rise.

4 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 2 hours to reach 125°

5-1/2 pound roast - 230° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 125°

6-3/4 pound bone-in roast - 250° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 125°

7 pound roast - 250° pit temp - 3 hours 40 minutes to reach 123°

7 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°

7.9 pound roast - 230° pit temp (dome temp) - 4 hours 5 minutes to reach 125°

8 pound roast - 250° - 275° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 122°

10 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 120°

11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215° average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125°

14 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°

15 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hrs 50 min to reach 127°

19.5 pound roast (prime grade) - 240° pit temp (dome temp) - 4 hours 25 minutes to reach 124°

First off, I am cooking a 4 boner so it is pretty good sized. I start at 220 to get a little smoke for 2 hours then crank to 250 until done. 125 or so. Then let it rest in a Cambro or ice chest wrapped in towels until the wife says it's time. That can be from 30 minutes up to 3 hours.... Same pink color all the way through.

I want to do mine on the MAK, I think I should have bought more pellets.

Back