Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Boston Hills BBQ Festival

This will be our third year at Boston Hills. Great event. The Giggler does an awesome job!!! :clap2:

This is a super fun contest. WE are looking forward to it. Plus the beer and the pizza are great.

I've been to this one as a spectator the first year and I worked security last year. It's my home town event, and this is the first time competing. The Giggler and crew puts a TON of work into this event. I wouldn't miss this one! Looking forward to meeting more new friends!

Thank you for the kind words.

Trophies are ordered and being built (GC and RGC for KCBS). KCBS will get called through 10th and awarded trophies. Great music planned, and of course the legendary hospitality. Looks like we're trending towards a full field! I guess I should get an updated teams list out. :becky:

I'm looking for a team to organize the potluck on Friday night. Anyone want to step up?

I don't know about organizing a pot luck, but for anyone who is...I'm planning on making a cake with the comps logo on it to celebrate the 3rd year. I was making cakes a long time before I caught the BBQ bug. :tongue:

The infamous sheet pizza :twisted:

It's Buffalo pizza being reviewed by a Canadian, take it easy on them. I'm sure they can make fun of some of the wings you can find in the Metro area.........besides, did you not hear the free beer part?

and I'm willing to bet, you have better shorts than Mike

I think we should have the shorts contest AFTER the free beer! Jon from good smoke looks like he has the wardrobe for full fledge competition! I put his name in for the contest....

As promised, here is an updated team list:

KCBS
Buffalo Meatheads
Butt Hutt Bar-B-Que
Red Valley BBQ
Big Belly Bar Be Que
Doghouse Willie
Hawg Doctors
The BBQ Guru
Buckner Brothers BBQ
Regal BBQ
Shuck and Clucks BBQ Team
Fat Guys In a Little Smoke
KC and the Smoke Stack Band
Smokin' Ain't Easy
Robo-Q
Nickel City Smokers
Good Smoke BBQ
Can't Stop Grillin'
Hoof N' Hog Smokers
Big Guns BBQ
Fill Up BBQ
First Alarm BBQ
Qwannabees
Holy Smokes
Q'n Canucks
Hawg Wild
Smoked Meets
Noel's Competition BBQ & Catering Team
The 5th Artery
Desperado's Barbecue
Big Bad Wolf BBQ
Diva Q
Pork Ninjas
Mikey's BBQ*
5 Hogs Front Porch BBQ*
Smoke This!*
Two Worthless Nuts*
Fett Svein - Handsomeswede*
*Entry Form and Check not yet received

NEBS Wide Open Grilling
Buffalo Meatheads
Big Belly Bar Be Que
Buckner Brothers BBQ
Good Smoke BBQ
Can't Stop Grillin'
Hoof N' Hog Smokers
Qwannabees
Smoked Meets
Noel's Competition BBQ & Catering Team
The 5th Artery
Desperado's Barbecue
Diva Q
Big Bad Wolf BBQ
Pork Ninjas
Torches
Braizin' Hell
Double D's Barbeque
Applegas Grillin'
Jack and Jim's Barbeque
Chillin' Willin' & Grillin'
Wing Night
Carnivore's Heaven

This email message will be in the contestant's email box shortly. Thought I'd share the information here as well.
________

We're a little over a week away until the 3rd Annual Boston Hills BBQ Fest. Just wanted to tell you all to have a safe trip in, and offer some general information.

Same as years past, there are no assigned sites. You will be setup as you arrive. If you would like to be setup next to a specific team, plan to arrive at the same time. There will be signs on Boston State Road letting you know where to enter. The contest site is located behind town hall @ 8500 Boston State Road, Boston, NY 14025. Someone will be there to greet you when you arrive, and show you to your site. We intend to work quickly as always, and your patience is appreciated. Check in begins at 9:00 am on Friday morning, unless you've made arrangements to do otherwise.

New this year, the rides are gone. Bounce houses are free for the kids throughout the weekend. Adult supervision is advised and appreciated. Also, we're going to move everyone closer to the main event area, and intermix the vendors and teams. By doing this, we can really showcase all of you. Please do not sample bbq to the public. BBQ Vendors (all of whom are competition teams) will be clearly marked with signage. Please let the public know that due to Erie County Health Department Regulations, you are not allowed to sample bbq to the public. Then kindly point them to those teams who are vending and invested to do so.

A note about the beer wrist bands for this year. Each member of your team will be given a wrist band that will be good for adult beverages at the bar. A maximum of two drinks will be served at a time, and everyone under the age of 30 will be proofed. Last year there was some discussion about teams taking 8 or more drinks at a time, and there were several people who had wristbands that were under age. This hospitality is extended to your team only. If you have guests attending, please have them support the Patchin Fire Company by purchasing their beverages. Beer sales are the only method of fundraising for the PFC at this event. To eliminate any risk of that this year, I will be handling all the wristbands and be placing them on everyone's wrists. This is a nice thing that we offer our competitors, and is something we plan to do in the future. Please treat it as the privilege that it is.

We will be organizing both a Potluck Dinner on Friday Night and a Pizza Party on Saturday Night. Danielle Dimovski, better known as Diva Q, will be organizing Friday Night's Potluck. This years theme will be Cajun Fare. Please correspond to divaq@rogers.com to advise how many people you have attending and what you are bringing. Thank you Danielle!!!!

We are capping the event at 50 teams this year, and my feeling is that we're going to be close. There are a few of you listed on the roster that have committed, but not yet paid. Also, the late fee is applicable this year. Please get your entry form and check sent in if you haven't already done so. Still looking for:
5 Hogs Front Porch BBQ
Smoke This!
Mikey's BBQ
Two Worthless Nuts
Fett Svein

We will be calling KCBS 1st - 10th and awarding trophies. Prize money will be awarded through 10th place if we get above 40 teams, first through 5th if we're under 40 teams. If you know anyone on the fence that hasn't entered, push them to do so - it builds our prize pool. NEBS Wide Open Grilling will be called through 5th place, and awarded trophies. The unique and very cool GC and RGC Trophies are back again this year for KCBS - bring your A game if you really want one.

A couple clarifications on NEBS Grilling. The entries are defined as:
Chicken Wings - whole or parts
Beef Steak
Pork Tenderloin
Dessert
Garnish is open, edible or non-edible is allowed
Minimum of 6 pieces must be turned in for judging - we will not be cutting any of the entries for judging
All must fit inside a 9x9 styrofoam standard box with a lid
Again, the official entry form, along with categories and turn in times is attached.

A note on garnish. There were not enough teams that took advantage of purchasing garnish in years past. Please make sure that you have all legal KCBS garnish prior to your arrival as none will be available for sale on site at the cook off.

Again, thank you for entering and supporting the Boston Hills BBQ Fest. We look forward to seeing everyone in a little over a week.

P.S. Those of you local teams competing at Doghouse Willie's Crossborder Blues, Brews and BBQ - GOOD LUCK!!!!

Last edited:
can't wait! what time is the pot luck?

Normally it's right after the cooks meeting. That will be at 6p.

I've got a bunch more teams to add to the roster. Thanks for the support everyone.

Was invited to do AM Buffalo on Channel 7 next week. Lots of good exposure right before the contest. We hope to have a great turnout. Let's all hope for awesome summer weather.

Back