BGE Question

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I recently did a high heat burn to get rid of some mildew and did so with success. Runined the Gasket on one side when I had to loosen the top with a puddy knife. Recently cooked some steakes. Did a high hear sear at 675, and then cooked at 400 dome temp with grate below gasket line. My question is that I could not get the grill to shut down with the vent closed and the ceramic top on. The next day it was around 150 degrees. Is this because part of the gasket was ruined. I really do not want to have to replace the gasket but if I have to to shut down the grill I will Thanks for the help

It does sound like your fried gasket is leaking enough to allow air leakage. When your cooking do you see smoke coming from the gasket area? If so that's a good indicator of needing to replace the gasket.

It is likely to be the gasket if the continued burn did not happen before the FUZION event. You can do the dollar bill test to check for leaks. The dollar bill should have resistance slipping through shut lid all around the top/bottom interface. If there are gaps you should probably replace the gasket.

You could also try adjusting out the gap by loosening the bolts on the lid/base (be careful not to drop the lid!) and resetting the interface to be parallel. Good luck.

I had to change my gasket on the BGE for the first time last month. Only the top one got cooked up and it began to fall apart, leaking smoke around half the grill. Not being Mr. Handyman, I delayed it ask much as I could then finally just did it.

5 minutes and I was done!...and it even worked!! The only issue I have, and it is a small one, is that the bolts on the spring assembly are rusting. I think I will just hit 'em with some steel wool and a good dose of gun oil and let it be.

sounds like your gasket is toast... i recommend going to the nomex gasket... I replaced mine about 6 months ago and I sear on it all the time

NOMEX WILL BURN - but at 700+ degrees of direct heat to the gasket... so it's pretty hard to roast it.

Some handyier people than I have gone to a rutland style woodburning stove gasket with good success, and that stuff is indestructable.

Yes sounds like you are still getting air if it was still 150 the next day. Mine takes about 4 hours to be under 100 after doing Wide open cooks.

Back