Just took butt off.. little dry, what to do?

S

Smiter Q

Hi all,

Last night I put my butt on at 11:30pm. Do not have remote probes or anything like that. Tended and watched most of the night and thought I would of woken up an hour ago.. but alas I did not. Took a sample off the butt and it taste a little dry. I did not foil it at all during the cook. Want to serve it around 12pm. Was going to wrap on foil and put in a cooler. What can I do to help bring some moisture back? I have apple juice here if a cup of that would work. Need thoughts and ideas of there is anything I can do. Little disappointed that it stayed on too long. Meat temp was a little over 200 when I pulled it now, may have gone a little higher while I was asleep this past hour.

Good thing is I got the minion method down on the kettle. A full 9 hours later then when I put it on, and the grill temp was still at 212 when I pulled it off.

morning8am.jpg

I you are going to leave it whole then I would wrap it and add some apple juice to the foil and then let it rest in the cooler. It will pull some of it in as it rests. then, when you pull it you can mix in the liquid that is in the foil.

If you want to pull it now just add some apple juice to the pulled meat.

Thinking of keeping it whole for a few hours, or would it be better to pull it now and then add apple juice over it to soak it till noon?

It looks good from here, did you sample a piece of the bark? That would be dry. If your worried my suggestion would be to wrap it up with some of those drippings I see down below, it will suck them up as it rests.

I'd keep it whole. Once you pull it you'd have to keep it hot in the oven or pit, and I think that would dry it out more or turn it to mush.

It looks good from here, did you sample a piece of the bark? That would be dry. If your worried my suggestion would be to wrap it up with some of those drippings I see down below, it will suck them up as it rests.

That was the water pan below. Thought of that, but it is an intense smoke flavor in the water. Too much so I think for me.

Dont do anything until you pull it. The bark could be very dry but the interior may still be quite moist.

OK, just wrapped it in towels and in a little cooler.
Did not add juice at this point, wondering if I should open her back up and add or not.

Consensus seems to be split above, and I do not have enough
personal experience with butts yet to know what to do .:confused:

leave it alone. You might be surprised with what you get.

Worse case - if its dry, add some carolina vinegar sauce when you plate it.

If you add juice now, you will be hooked on that "crutch" going forward. Learn more before adding juice.

OK, just wrapped it in towels and in a little cooler.
Did not add juice at this point, wondering if I should open her back up and add or not.

Consensus seems to be split above, and I do not have enough
personal experience with butts yet to know what to do .:confused:

You did the right thing. Let it sit in the cooler as long as possible before pulling. Start cooking some sauce to get your mind off it. It will be fine.

Smiter,

How did you go about setting your kettle up for smoking? I've seen quite a few members here such as yourself achieve some amazing cook times. I've been browsing craigslist on a daily basis looking for a Weber kettle for this very reason.

Let us know how it turns out? What you did sounds fine, wrapping and leaving in cooler. When you pull it at 1/3 apple juice and 2/3 Eastern style NC sauce to moisten if needed.

Most of my butts and picnics turn out looking darker than that, I think it's close to perfect!

The moisture goes to the middle of the meat while it's cooking, so the outside will be dry like mentioned above. I imagine it turned out OK so long as it was done to the point of being tender. I couldn't tell from your post if it was done. Hope it was great!:cool:

The moisture goes to the middle of the meat while it's cooking, so the outside will be dry like mentioned above. I imagine it turned out OK so long as it was done to the point of being tender. I couldn't tell from your post if it was done. Hope it was great!:cool:

Follow up post meal::becky:

Just got back in from the afternoon and evening out. I removed the pork from the little cooler at 1pm. It was still almost too hot to touch after 4 hours in it. I have read before it really holds well in a cooler, and it surely did. It was just me and a buddy eating, so I took 1/2 the butt and pulled with 2 forks. Effortlessly it shredded, and the bone came out with two fingers. The inside was moist and with the dry bark mixed in it was great texture. I did not mix in the fatcap, wondering if I should do that next time. I mixed in a tablespoon of a homemade apple BBQ sauce I made, and then poured a little of a eastern NC vinegar sauce on slaw on top. These were BIG sandwiches and we both had 2. Still stuffed 9 hours later and have remnants of a smokey taste leftover too! All in all a very large success, especially with the weber minion method. The kettle was at 175 when I left the house, 13 hours later. When I pulled the meat off this am it was at 265, after a FULL 9 hours of burning with NO extra coals added. Was quite impressed with the kettles tenaciousness.

Was a little concerned this AM, as when I took it off the meat was 203F. But for my first minion burn I am very happy with my results of the cook. I wish to thank everyone who shared information over the past two days in my posts. <humbly bows>

Had the camera ready to go at the pull... but hunger overwhelmed me.. so alas.. no photos. But I assure you... I did eat!:cool::thumb::becky:

Last edited by a moderator:
9 hour burn on a kettle - that's awesome! :clap2:
How'd you do that? Inquiring minds want to know! :heh:
Nice work and congrats! :thumb:

Back