• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So my smoker tried to burn my house down...

For safety concerns, next time take it off the the propane smoker and put it in the oven. There is not much difference. If you want to add more smoke put it back on the smoker when you get home. I understand you are trying to get smoke flavor on the meat but this would eliminate leaving a smoker unattended.

Glad to hear that everything turned out okay.

Thank you for taking the time to post your story. Safety is an initial and ongoing concern. Valuable post. Thank you

Last edited:
Was the tank up to date? I thought propane tanks were required to have a device in them to shut off when there is a sudden decompression like a hose break.

The connection at the propane burner failed and started burning the paint off. My 11 year old son came home from school, saw it on fire, called me, shut off the propane tank, which was "spewing fire like a flamethrower", and beat the small portion of the porch that was on fire with a shovel before I could get there. He's my hero. :clap2:

I'm glad you're all unhurt and your house survived.

Please consider HankB's sage advice:

Sometimes I think I'm being too much of a ninny when I point out to people the risks in their setup. And then I hear stories like yours. :twitch:

I used to roll as a paid on call firefighter and rolled on the occasional grill gone bad.

Please put yourself more than one mistake away from disaster. We all make mistakes. Don't put yourself in a position where that mistake results in disaster. Fire in a garage, porch, on a deck or too close to a structure is just a bad idea waiting to teach you a lesson.

/rant

I'm glad your son was there to intervene.

Bullet dodged, thank God.

The only mistake that your son made was calling you. He should have called the fire department. If he could make a call, that's where it should have gone. You should make him aware of that. If it had gotten out of hand without the FD on their way . . . well I don't want to think of what the posts here may have been like.

Never put your pit next to a building or anything Flammable:doh:, You better buy JR a new Bike.

Thanks for all the comments. No offense was taken. I shared my embarrassing experience as a wake up call for all of us. It was difficult for me to post where I was. No matter how good the excuse, I left. Normally I monitor it visually and with the thermometer on the grate. The boy wants Taco Bell for his reward. He can eat his fill.

Was the tank up to date? I thought propane tanks were required to have a device in them to shut off when there is a sudden decompression like a hose break.

As far as I know it's a newer tank. He may have arrived as the hose was failing.

Some speak of luck but I once heard a quote that "luck is for the ill prepared". Your son did not run away but instead was prepared mentally to react to the task at hand that I know some men would've run from. Kudos to him for stepping up and to you for giving him the tools to react in the manner he did.

WHEW.........

Glad it worked out.
BRAVO to your son.

I have an 11yo. Yours sounds like a smart, brave and good kid.

Back