"Heaven in an aluminum pan"

NC Mike

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just cooked a 4 bone rib roast on my weber kettle using the rotisserie. I had my daughter come by and pick up dinner for her family. She called later and said it was "heaven in an aluminum pan". Even better than the last restaurant prime rib they had.
Wish I had pictures but I'm having camera issues.
I believe I will be using the setup more because before the rib roast it turned out some really good chicken.

For me there's no better way to cook chicken than to spin it on the rotisserie....whether whole directly on the spit rod or parts in a basket, the way the skin gets from basting in its own fatty goodness....I better stop now.

I've been happy with the rib roasts I've done too, nice tasty crust.

Regardless of what I cook on my rotisserie, I'll generally toss a chunk of cherry or some other wood onto the charcoal so get a hint of smoke.

What was the prep? What temp was the dome? What internal temp did you pull it at? I plan on doing one this weekend, and yours sounded like it turned out great.

rib roast cook

I salted the roast with kosher salt early in the morning then wrapped in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge. In the afternoon I set the weber up with 2 charcoal baskets with a drip pan in the middle. While the charcoal was getting lit I pulled the roast out of the fridge and skewered it. Took 2 tries to get it centered so one side was not heavier than the other. I rubbed it with coarse ground pepper. Dumped the charcoal in the baskets and added 3 kingsford hickory briquettes on each side. Meat went on and some small potatoes and Brussel sprouts went in the pan. I ran the top vent wide open and the bottom vent about 3/4 open. I did not check the dome temp just checked on things about every 20 minutes. I did add a few lit briquettes after one hour and opened the bottom vent to get more crust on the roast. At an hour and 30 minutes the center was at 135 degrees so I pulled it off, tented it with foil and let it set about 20 minutes before carving.

I salted the roast with kosher salt early in the morning then wrapped in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge. In the afternoon I set the weber up with 2 charcoal baskets with a drip pan in the middle. While the charcoal was getting lit I pulled the roast out of the fridge and skewered it. Took 2 tries to get it centered so one side was not heavier than the other. I rubbed it with coarse ground pepper. Dumped the charcoal in the baskets and added 3 kingsford hickory briquettes on each side. Meat went on and some small potatoes and Brussel sprouts went in the pan. I ran the top vent wide open and the bottom vent about 3/4 open. I did not check the dome temp just checked on things about every 20 minutes. I did add a few lit briquettes after one hour and opened the bottom vent to get more crust on the roast. At an hour and 30 minutes the center was at 135 degrees so I pulled it off, tented it with foil and let it set about 20 minutes before carving.

Sounds like it turned out great. I have been wanting to try a rib roast in the Weber kettle for some time but never seem to find a good one at a price I want to pay. Both of our local butcher shops do not keep them and will only do special orders on them.

We are blessed. We have a local IGA chain called Carlie Cs. When bone in ribeyes are on sale they will have a special on whole or half ribeyes. We can get one sliced. half of it sliced and a roast or how ever we want it. This week whole boneless ribeye is 5.48 a pound.
We also have a Hispanic grocery / meat market about 2 blocks away. They can cut anything we want and have great in store made chorizo.
Then at the other end of town we have a butcher shop with briskets, tomahawk ribeyes, and other cuts the first two stores don't carry.

Back