Green Mulberry

CustomBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Recently was able to stockup on wood, for free!! Has anyone ever used mulberry green, Ive read all the posts on here regarding mulberry, but havent seen if its ok green. Thanks in advance.

From what I have read from different books and different forums, fruit woods are fine to be used when green as they have a mild flavor to begin with. I haven't tried any green wood however, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Although Myron Mixon swears by green peach wood.

I have some 2 month cherry that I just got and will be trying that out this weekend, but most of the stuff I have used has been seasoned 3 months + so far.

Using green wood is ONLY OK when used in a hot fire that quickly lights the green wood and produces a clean burn. This is generally only possible in large offsets with a decent sized fire running the unit. Anything smaller and the fire won't be large enough to ignite all of the volatile compounds released resulting in a dirty smoke. Do not try this in a Minion method burn.

A number of folks that can produce clean burns with green wood are happier with the flavors from the green wood as opposed to seasoned wood, surprisingly.

I've been using some green apple wood that was given to me. Its getting more seasoned all the time and haven't really noticed much difference. I say give it a try no matter what your method.

I know people disagree with this. Too much smoke makes a bitter taste. I imagine green oak might be bitter. Many people still soak wood, yes wet wood and unseasoned wood is not the same.

I guess don't try it on a 45 buck prime rib roast, but, to me, trying is part of the process and part of the adventure. I just cook for family so what the comp cooks do doesn't always apply.

Recently was able to stockup on wood, for free!! Has anyone ever used mulberry green, Ive read all the posts on here regarding mulberry, but havent seen if its ok green. Thanks in advance.

Let it season, unless you like your neighbors asking you why you are burning cats and dogs in your smoker.

Thanks for the input people. I think Ill try it out on some chicken or something else inexpensive. If it comes out worth talking about Ill be sure to report back, thanks again.

Back