cast iron skellet

popeye

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I scored a castiron skellet . 20 inch. Problem is my oven is not big enouph to season it right . any thing will help . Oh by the way i got it for ten bucks.

Score! $10. How big is your oven? Not a standard size? Put it on the grill, would be your only other option, or you could ask a friend to borrow their oven for a couple of hours.

Here's a quick q based on this...would using my WSM without the water pan work for trying to season some cast iron?

I have a dutch oven (top and bottom) and a skillet that need re-seasoning and ideally I'd like to do as much together as possible as it's quite fuel-inefficient to do one or two pieces at a time.

my oven is 20 inch wide but not 20 inch deep . and all i got is a vertical smoker and a smoky joe .

my oven is 20 inch wide but not 20 inch deep . and all i got is a vertical smoker and a smoky joe .

You could season it on an open campfire. It will take longer, and you will have alot of carbon to clean off( hot water only, no soap), I would just ask a buddy to borrow his/her oven for a couple, then cook for them. Win Win:becky:

All I know is that I want to see a picture of this damn thing.

I'd season a bad boy like that over a small controlled fire in my firepit and watch the amount of oil/bacon grease I used to coat the skillet to minimize flare ups.

top of your regular stove, you have burners that will work just fine

a grill or open fire would be the best bet I would imagine, stove top will produce a lot of smoke you probably won't want inside your house.

you know i just might try the kettle . thanks .. i do have a friend that has a kettle . I could bribe him with a batch of wings when we get done hu .

I do mine at home every time I cook on them at home, if outside clean it right after cooking and treat. If you are at home and the bottom needs work, clean it up and simply place on stove, turn your exhaust fan on and get er hot, rub down with oil and paper towel, even if you dont have a fan, smoke will be minor, but very simple to do..every time I use my pans in the house they get rinsed with hot water and scrubby, then dried on the stove...even if used every night this is how to dry them, no big deal, no project...the dutch oven gets the same treatment... I bought an old one that was extremly crusty, I took up to my shop and placed in the shot blaster using stainless shot. Brought it home and used cleanser and a scrubby..worked the pan over and smoothend the cooking surface, placed on stove and heated with oil and it has been great...
Tip:::eek:nce the pan starts to give off smoke, turn the burner off..works great

I do mine at home every time I cook on them at home, if outside clean it right after cooking and treat. If you are at home and the bottom needs work, clean it up and simply place on stove, turn your exhaust fan on and get er hot, rub down with oil and paper towel, even if you dont have a fan, smoke will be minor, but very simple to do..every time I use my pans in the house they get rinsed with hot water and scrubby, then dried on the stove...even if used every night this is how to dry them, no big deal, no project...the dutch oven gets the same treatment... I bought an old one that was extremly crusty, I took up to my shop and placed in the shot blaster using stainless shot. Brought it home and used cleanser and a scrubby..worked the pan over and smoothend the cooking surface, placed on stove and heated with oil and it has been great...
Tip:::eek:nce the pan starts to give off smoke, turn the burner off..works great

this is also what i do . BUT this thing is 20 inches from side to side .

Back