How would you present ribs if KCBS rules didn't apply?

Chenernator

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm in a non-KCBS rib-off this weekend and want your opinion. The rules are simply:

1. no garnish
2. Six ribs must be turned in. You may present the ribs either individually cut or as 1 six piece group (your choice) in a clamshell.

Would you turn in a slab or separate the pieces? If separate, how would you arrange them? Any other suggestions?

Only 6, no more? Is it a standard 9x9 clamshell? There isn't much you can do, really.

I don't think I would do one big chunk. Unless there is only one judge that would make it tough at the judging table. If you have enough ribs, I would be tempted to do a Cadillac cut (where you basically cut out every other bone, leaving ribs with the full meat on both sides of the rib. That way you can have a full box and still stay within the 6 rib rule. With that you can probably do two layers, three on the bottom towards the back of the box and then three overlapping those on top towards the front of the box.

Here is a picture from a Google image search showing the cut and the arrangement. I would hope that yours looks better than this example :-D

1914325444_867db21194.jpg

29827826335957702468926aw.jpg

Only 6, no more? Is it a standard 9x9 clamshell? There isn't much you can do, really.

Only six. All of the extras are being sold as a fundraiser. The box is actually an Applebee's to-go box, so it's closer to 8x8. There are only three judges, so I'm not sure why we're turning in six. Cadillac cut is one thing I thought of.

Kind of like this:
100_0184.jpg

or this (without the garnish):
asdfasdf_n.jpg

It looks like those are two-bone portions, which I think would be against the rules in this non-sanctioned comp since they specified 6 ribs (I interpret that as 6 bones). If that would fly then it would be a good way to fill the box.

Use kale as a garnish. It's fast, easy, and looks good. Too easy for KCBS to allow it.

Back