• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Much loss of points?

Two Bears

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How much in points would a team miss/lose if they did not use garnish in the turn in box?
I know its hard to say gosh you just gave x amount of points up because of no garnish but would it be sugnificant amount to really mess with your score?
Yes, I did this at my first event not knowing any better yet managed to stay well off the bottom in the overall.

You should specify the santioning body, but presuming KCBS, the official stance is that it is a meat competition and that garnish is optional. You should not lose any points for not having garnish. I have heard mixed reviews of those not using garnish though: One rep told me he has not seen a score impact from not having garnish. Another told me about a respected competitor who tried it without garnish once and saw a drop in points. It really depends on the judge.

Realistically though, I can't imagine it would change your score by anything over 5 points, if that.

dmp

Now there is an experiment waiting to happen..... If I had they money that is..... Enter two teams in the same contest. 2 Separete alike smokers same rub same time in cooker ect ect Garnish one teams turn in and not the other. But because they would get different Judges it wouldn't work.... Oh well pipe dream

It shouldn't matter, but....I'd guess some judges would dock you a point or so.

Garnish is cheap, and with some practice the boxes don't take that long. Why leave points on the table?

In KCBS appearance is weighted pretty low so it wouldn't hurt that much BUT if I missed a payday by 1.5 points I'd be cussin my cheap arse all the way home.

Yes it was KCBS.
Well next time I will be on top of the greens and turn them in with the color added (greens) and see how things shake out.
I was just wondering if I did leave points on the table or not.
Just read some links on this issue and saw several pics that tells me that most of you put a lot of time in preparing the containers with greens (putting greens) so it must have more of an impact than we should really see considering that the judges should only judge on the meat appearence.

Yea garnish is a whole debate in itself. Listen to Greg Rempe on BBQ Central radio he gets all worked up sometimes. I was a little intimidated about it so my first comp I did IBCA just to avoid the garnish. Then when I did my first KCBS it wasn't that big of a deal. There is a lot of help here on the forum on boxes. Good luck.

I think it is "Regional" in nature.
Here in FL, GA, and AL --Most of the judges are KCBS/FBA with a lot of MIM/MBA folks.
They are used to no garnish.
We have walked each year at Plant City with no garnish. Never high, but a top ten in a field loaded with Pellet Envy, Fast Eddy, DRBBQ, and all of the SE superstars.

Try it and see what happens.
It's only money and pride on the line :-D

TIM

In KCBS if you want to have a chance to win you have to use it.
If you just want to be competitive but aren't dedicated to winning you can do without.

It shouldn't matter, but....I'd guess some judges would dock you a point or so.

Absolutly right - it's not supposed to matter. I do my best not to let the garnish, or lack thereof, influence my judging of the meat but I have seen the looks on other judges faces when a box without green stuff is put in front of them.

In 2003 at the contest at Mandaly Bay (Vegas) the GC and RC tied and 3rd place was .0002 behind. Prize money 12,000 - 6,000 - ZERO!

Appearance weighting is .5714 so for each score other than 9 you lose over half a point. All 8's means you lose 2.8570 points.

I do everything I can to make sure I leave no points on the table. When I see a 7 for presentation I'm PO'd at the judge. Especially if everybody else is giving 8 or 9.

Yes it was KCBS.
Well next time I will be on top of the greens and turn them in with the color added (greens) and see how things shake out.
I was just wondering if I did leave points on the table or not.
Just read some links on this issue and saw several pics that tells me that most of you put a lot of time in preparing the containers with greens (putting greens) so it must have more of an impact than we should really see considering that the judges should only judge on the meat appearence.

So it sounds like you turned in without garnish? It would be interesting to see pictures of your boxes and the scores. We cooked the LPQue2 competition in Iowa this year and that competition was no garnish (not optional, mandatory no garnish). We had a lot more time to socialize without having to do boxes and turn ins went much faster :)

Garnish is cheap, and with some practice the boxes don't take that long. Why leave points on the table?

as much as I dislike the whole garnish thing it is part of the game and until it is mandatory no garnish I'll make sure our boxes are properly dressed!

We got a 1st in brisket without garnish in a KCBS event. Well, the parsley was under the meat but I filled it up so much, you couldnt see any green.
So I dont buy that you have to use garnish.

Back