Chicken score

judge #6 took just a small nibble???..

2 6's and 4 8's in appearace, makes me skeptical that you didn't have a decent shot from the get-go. Then the taste and tenderness seem a bit too inconsitent to me.. so all I can say is, is that your chicken wasn't that good to begin with.. the 654 could've been the worst piece out of the bunch.

I think you got the same judge I did a week ago. Scores like 654 or 678 like I received makes me think the judge wasn't in the tent. All my other scores were 8+9.

Yes, chicken is my worst category. I left the bones in the thighs this time and they were sticking out from both sides gag! Even still I wound up 6th overall. Chicken score needs to improve dramatically. Cost me a nice finish.

Can anybody tell me what I should do or think.of this score in chicken? 887 879 899 688 888 654.

Don't give the 654 score another thought unless you had a piece in the box that you know was somehow different then the others. He was off base.

From there you did not get a single 9 in apperance . So some minor tweeking may be of benefit there.

You then got a mixture of 7's 8's and 9's in taste and tenderness. So if this is a pattern from other cooks you need to adjust them both a little not alot but you are not quite hitting it for the table as a whole. But, this is just one contest so be gentle in any changes until you see a similar pattern in the next contest.

Yes, chicken is my worst category. I left the bones in the thighs this time and they were sticking out from both sides gag! Even still I wound up 6th overall. Chicken score needs to improve dramatically. Cost me a nice finish.

Need to trim one knuckle off and the knob off the other. Wrap skin around both ends to cover the bones. A decent appearance score should be at least 4 9's and 2 8's. it looks like one piece my have been tough. Throwing out the 654 you got 2 7's 5 8's and 3 9's. you're close in t&t but needs little tweaking. Doubt anybody can really help without tasting it. Assume you scrape skin, trim all fat and thin edges.

Chicken is the first turn in. Judge number 6 was a non-cbj given the start at 6 and go up or down. Your tenderness was not to his or another judges liking, probably over cooked. Taste (flavor) was slight off for some of the judges. What to work on: probably tenderness (don't over cook) Just my two cents and your milage may vary.

I honestly believe that judge number 6 was your most honest score and there is a need to work on taste and especially, tenderness.

Thanks smoke n ice, I will start with the tenderness. I didn't change anything taste wise from the last comp, same rub, brine sauce combo and I got 12th in chicken.. Just struggle with the trimming and bite thru skin

Scores from my other contest were 998 887 899 887 888 988. I took the bones out of the thighs on this contest. Maybe I am over cooking my chicken trying to get the skin bite through.

You have the most control over appearance but it is your worst score. Clean that up and I'm betting the rest improve too.
Clean the box up? Straighten up the parsley? Make sure the chicken is not touching the Lid? Is the box being shaken during turn in?
Picture?

My wife is a master box builder so it falls solely on the product within the box. I need to do a much better job of trimming. I did get a much better score with boneless thighs

We have never done well with bone-in thighs but then again we have never been great with chicken.

We have always done better with boneless thighs too. But I suck at that whole knuckle business

we always do bone in thighs but cut the knuckle off with thick bladed blade and a mallet :biggrin1:

Really? "always"? How many comps? Just curious. No disrespect. Just didn't find much info about your team.

Throw out the 654. You are averaging 8s in each category (both comp scores taken into consideration). You do need some small tweaks to sure things up. Without additional info it is hard to say where. Nothing major though. Don't stray too far from your current course.

Last edited:
Back