Chicken on Weber?

D

Dave98

Hi All, I need some advice. I am using a Good-One smoker. I have been smoking chicken on the top shelf. This allows the chicken juice to drop on what ever is under it. So, I have decided that I need to change how I cook chicken. One of my friends mentioned a WSM (Webber Bullet). After pricing one, :eek: I wondered if it would be possible to cook competition chicken on a Webber kettle grill?

Any thoughts?

Which WSM did you price, the new 22.5" or the old 18.5"?
We currently run four of the 18.5" WSMs, we just don't see the need for the high-volume capacity of the new big-boy units for competition.

That being said, a Weber kettle is a terrifically versatile piece of equipment, and there's no reason it couldn't cook just about anything you want. Our old OTG has been hauled to comps on occasion!

I use my weber kettle for competition chicken - has done me alright - can not complain.

I have cooked chicken at comps offset on a Weber kettle for four years now and have five or six first place finishes to show for it. I suppose you could try it but what's the point? :cool:

Just beware... there are those who will tell you that you're just grilling the chicken but if you're offset and have a good amount of soaked wood chips on your coals, there'll be more smoke in that kettle than most any smoker is holding when you pull the lid off! :wink:

I haven't done any comp. cooking with my Weber grill, but I wouldn't hesitate one bit to do a Spatchcock chicken on it...

Jeff, what soaked wood chips would be advised? While were at it, what rub and sauces?

Jeff, what soaked wood chips would be advised? While were at it, what rub and sauces?

I have few secrets - I mix in a pan of water three handfuls of cherry and one handful...... damn! I'm having one of those over 40 forgetful moments! What was I saying? I use Schick Shaving Cream for sauce. It's really similar to the Alabama White Sauce. :twisted:

I have cooked chicken at comps offset on a Weber kettle for four years now and have five or six first place finishes to show for it. I suppose you could try it but what's the point? :cool:

Just beware... there are those who will tell you that you're just grilling the chicken but if you're offset and have a good amount of soaked wood chips on your coals, there'll be more smoke in that kettle than most any smoker is holding when you pull the lid off! :wink:

Agreed. We have used and will continue to use our Weber Kettle for comp chix. While we haven't had the success of Jeff, we still feel the kettle is a good choice.

We won in chicken with the Weber.

I bought a wsm for my comp chicken. Best $200 I ever spent. First time out we hit top ten and haven't looked back.

Why not just cook your chicken on the bottom shelf?
I use a good one, and do it this way. I've been lucky enough to be in the top ten a good percentage of the comps we did last year.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I will get our team a new Weber Kettle. :biggrin:

New Guy, the bottom shelves are where the ribs and brisket are generally. I agree, the Good-One is great for chicken. I do think having something else to cook on will simplfy the process a little. PS. I moved to Overland Pork (Park) from Ankeny. I grew up in Des Moines. What a great town.

Back