View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #43
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I had thawed out a KC Strip for lunch today, but I also wanted to enter the Ground Meat Throwdown. I knew it would seem just ridiculous to make a hamburger out of a KC Strip, so I put my thinking cap on for a bit. Then I took it off because it hurt.

Oh, one other thing....I had a couple of minor problems come up while preparing this. The first of which is my good camera might just be on the fritz! It turned on, and just when I went to snap the first pic it went dead. So i had to resort to my backup crappy camera.

So here's the KC Strip...

And here it is cubed...

And here it is after running it through a coarse grind...

I took the meat and mixed in my normal steak seasonings because, well, I really like it a lot. I then put the meat in the fridge while I started up a chimney full of lump.

While the chimney was firing up, I took a Russet Potato...

Sliced it in half and removed a dark spot...

Then I wrapped them in some foil to keep the liberals from turning them into tofu...

I dumped my chimney of lump into my 22 inch Weber kettle...

And arranged the coals to cook offset...

Then I let the grate get good an hot on both ends, gave them a solid scraping and brushing, and then brushed them with some oil...

Then I put the potatoes on like so, put the lid on and went back inside to work on the meat...

I started to get a breading station set up with flour, egg and cracker crumbs, and this is when I ran into my second problem of the day...someone took my last 2 eggs! They were there this morning! Why did someone decide to make eggs today without consulting me first?

So here I was without eggs, and things already in motion. I quickly tried to think of some good egg alternatives and then shrugged it off. I didn't have time to keep thinking, only to screw things up. So, I went with just the cracker crumbs.

I formed two little steak-ey shaped sorta things with the meat, and pressed them into some cracker crumbs a few times to get a good layer of cracker crumbs on the outside, and even mixed in a touch with the outer meat, like so...

Once the potatoes had been on for 20 minutes, I hit the steak-ey shaped things with a bit of spray-Olive Oil to help crisp up the cracker coating on the steak-ey bits. I put them on the grill and flipped and rotated the potatoes like so...

Then I went inside to make up some gravy.

After 10 minutes I flipped the steak-ey things like so...

At this point my potatoes were soft so I took them inside to make Mashed Potatoes with them. After another 10 minutes I flipped the steak-ey things directly over the coals to finish them up and give the breading a little more brown color...

After about 90 seconds I flipped them again to brown the other side...

After I pulled the steak-ey things off the grill I put on some Green Beans (I forgot to take a pic of those, sorry).

And here it is all ready to eat.

It was fan-farking-tastic! I do think the breading could have been a bit more crispy, but the taste was just absolutely perfect in my opinion. I'm ready to try this again once I have some eggs.

Thanks for looking.

wow! that's be best looking chicken fried steak i've ever seen. i love that stuff.