1st Time Pastrami and Pulled Chuck

campdude

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I decided it was time to try making some pastrami. I had a corned beef point, flat, and round in the freezer. I figured I'd go for the point. It was about 3 pounds. I soaked it for about 24 hours, changing the water 3x. I then rubbed with a mix of the spice packet, dry mustard, corriander, brown sugar, onion powder, and garlic powder. I didn't put any black pepper in the mix because the wife can't eat it. I wrapped it in plastic and left it in the fridge overnight. Took it out in the morning, unwrapped it, and let it air out for about an hour. I got the Bandera up to heat with K blue and a mix of hickory and cherry woods. The chuck got a liberal rub of Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy. I put them in the smoke at around 250* and let it climb to around 290*. In 2 1/2 hours the pastrami was at 162*. I pulled it out and put it in a pan on a rack with beef broth in the bottom and covered with foil. At the same time the chuck was at 167*, so I foiled it with some broth too. I put them both back in and jacked the temp to 320*. In a little over an hour the pastrami was at 188*. I checked it and it probed tender. The chuck went another hour to 204* before probing tender. I made a killer pastrami sammie with spicy mustard, swiss cheese, and some dill pickle. I enjoyed a Firestone Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout with the sammie. I made a plate of pulled beef nachos with guacamole also. I'll have beef for tacos for tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Back