• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

If Your Foodsaver Seems Weak....

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know that many of us use Foodsaver vacuum sealers. Well from reading on line I have found that a lot of folks like myself have had issues with weak vacuums that seal the bag, but don't pull out all of the air. Well I read about how the gasket can cause a problem if it gets damaged, but mine looked like brand new. Well I decided to try wiping really well with rubbing alcohol and VOILA! Its now working like new again! My best guess is that it had a film of grease that I couldn't see or feel that was causing a bad seal. Most likely from a while back when I packaged a bunch of bacon.

I am still probably going to buy a Weston when I see another good coupon, but at least I have mine working for now.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Thanks! Once in a while, mine will seem not to vac out the air as well as it could - it seems like there's a little release before the seal, but then it seems to work fine again later - I'm guessing what you're talking about has something to do with that. Thanks for putting that up! :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up, next time we pull ours out to use it I will have to remember to clean it. Definitely have the issue of the sealer not sucking, which sucks.

I use the hose attachment a lot to seal jars. I have found that removing the hose helps too. They also recommend turning your gasket around.

I too have had sporadic periods where it just doesn't want to get all the air. I cleaned the seal with soap and water and it works much better.

I have this problem consistently. Which gasket are you referring to?

I have had the same issue and the wet paper towel that Bull mentions does work. My issue, however, is the longevity of the seal. It seems after about a few weeks, the seal gives way. Any ideas on this?

I have had the same issue and the wet paper towel that Bull mentions does work. My issue, however, is the longevity of the seal. It seems after about a few weeks, the seal gives way. Any ideas on this?

My guess would be a call to the manufacturing co. They may carry replacement gaskets.

I have this problem consistently. Which gasket are you referring to?

Like BBQBULL said its both of the gaskets top and bottom. I just soaked a paper towel in rubbing alcohol and wiped everything down. Gave it a minute to dry and then tested it.

As far as the gaskets needing to be replaced, I think its just if they get worn or compressed in any one spot. If they have any uneven spots you can forget pulling a strong vacuum.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to make sure i wipe mine down next time I have it out.

Now do you have any tips for keeping tiny food particles out of seal? I use a lot of bags. Frequently, putting the food into the bag leaves food residue on the top of the bag on the rough side. It will seal, but it leaks later.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Now do you have any tips for keeping tiny food particles out of seal? I use a lot of bags. Frequently, putting the food into the bag leaves food residue on the top of the bag on the rough side. It will seal, but it leaks later.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

You can put a rolled up paper towel on top of the food before sealing. That helps keep food or liked being sucked out.

While still under warranty my Foodsaver V2490 started pumping and sealing prematurely. I called their CS and they hipped me to occasionally re-moisturing and rotating the upper and lower seals and it worked like a charm, they even sent a replacement set gratis, but I've never had the need to use them. Couple years later, the sealing tape developed a ridge and would end up with faulty seals that just got worse.
I told myself when this dies I'm getting the Weston 2300. Someone posted a link just before Christmas from this site http://www.thehuntersbutchershop.com/Weston-Vacuum-Sealers-Weston-Vacuum-Sealer-Bags-s/42.htm and they had the best deal around with free shipping and bags. So keep an eye on the prize.

I use the hose attachment a lot to seal jars. I have found that removing the hose helps too. They also recommend turning your gasket around.

If I leave the hose on, and try to suck and seal a bag, it doesn't happen. The hose must come off.

CD

Guys, if it works with either alcohol or water, choose water.
It isn't a good thing use alcohol on rubber, the rubber breaks down.
like my liver...

Back