Lang 36 or WSM

Big A

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Which would you get?It seems the Lang will hold more food but how well is the temp managment on the Lang compared to a wsm?Man If the wife saw this post I'd get an ear full!lol

Depends what you want really. Langs are awesome. You have to feed them every 90 minutes or so if you are going to use it as a stickburner (why else would you buy a Lang?). The WSM is more set it and forget it. Both are excellent cookers you see at basically every BBQ competition, so you can't go wrong with this decision.

the lang looks like a great smoker, well built, heavy duty, and can hold a fark load of meat.. the price range on the 36" WOW holy second house loan. it says it is portiable but i thinkg that it would quite heavy. the wsm is smaller yes but that can travel a lot easier if needed. and the price range is a nice one also. Just my thoughts. cooking wise i have no idea on the two because i don't own one. this is just what i have learned by looking at other brethren posts and comments. from what i have read the wsm is a good smoker.

Something I should add that I did not bring up before...stickburners, when used right, produce superior smoke. The difference is minor however, otherwise at comps you would only see stickburners. That said however, I prefer the flavor of meat cooked on a big stickburner over a WSM. However, I cook with WSM's and crank out fantastic food that people go completely apechit over. Again, you can't go wrong. But I thought I shoudl mention that part about stickburners and their everlasting clean burning fire.

I do not have a WSM, but have had food cooked on them and it was very good, I have had a stick burner and this is just my opinion, and opinions vary, but a good stick burner in the proper hands just can't be beat for overall flavor. I have a UDS that I use now all the time for ease of use and it produces some amazing stuff, as does the WSM stuff I ahve had before, however, a good clean blue smoke belching stick burner is hard to beat....just got to tend to it more and that should be taken into consideration , you need to maintain a constant temp in a stick burner by feeding the beast, wheras the UDS and WSM are pretty much set and forget.

ApeChit - like it!!! :idea::-D

It all depends on what you want, portability, etc. The Lang is awesome, stickburners rock. WSM rocks too. Hey get both.:crazy:

WSM but if your looking for a sideburner check out Kingfisher Kountry Kookers. Very well made

I recently purchased a vertical cabinet smoker and although I love the ease of a constant temperature my stickburner produces the best smoke flavor profile. IMO it is worth the work.

Hey, I finally get to chime in on my Lang 36....

I have owned a lot of smokers in my short time smoking (10 ys) and I can say that my Lang 36 is hands down the best cooker I have ever owned. I like playing with fire and always will, so I actually like the fact that I have to manage the fire every 60-90 mins. As mentioned, I have cooked on all types of rigs, so trust me when I say that nothing beats the flavor of a real, all wood fire. As far as being mobile, the Lang 36 is made from stainless steel and is a smaller unit than all the other langs, so it is very easy to move around. I have no problem wheeling it around my property with ease. I couldnt see any problem getting this rig to a contest if that is your thing. As far as holding temps, again, no problem what so ever. All you do is build a big fire to start, let the logs burn down to coal and then add 1-2 peices every so often, piece of cake! The 36 comes to temp fast and stays where you need it, adjusting the baffles as needed. The thick steel helps keep the temps consistant as well.

Living in S Florida, I use mostly oak, which burns long and hot and gets the neighbors stopping by in droves everytime I fire it up. I even had the garbage man stop and get out of the truck to say how good my BBQ smelled in comparison to his charcoal smoker. He asked me "what do I use, how do I get it to smell soooo good like that!"

I Love my stick burning Lang! Worth the money and wouldn't trade it for anything, except for maybe a Lang 60 Deluxe :-D

Get the Lang! Have fun with your decision and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ksmoker, you just sold me on a lang and im not even in the market to buy one...

Stickburner definitely more fun to work with, easier access to all your food as well. The wsm is about as easy and user friendly as you will ever find. It all depends on what youre looking for. I loved playing around with my old offset every hour or so, but it was a hassle having to get others to add charcoal and check temps when i was away. The wsm is easy, but also less enjoyable to work with (not that i dont love it).

If at all possible, get both! If yer gonna get in trouble anyway, go for the Lang and then hold out for a CL score on a WSM & kinda sneak it in later. :heh: In other words, cash in yer trouble chips for the big one (Lang) then the cheaper one (WSM) won't seem like such a big deal.

I love stickburning btw, but I am putting together a UDS so I can have the set and forget option.

It according how much you cook if it just a ever in a once in while thing go with the WSM If you cook or planning on cooking a lot go with an offset or some type of stick burner. Also another thing to consider what kind of wood supply do you have.

Many good points.I do like to play with fire.My only thing is how often I'm going to cook large meals.When I convince myself it's worth the money to buy the lang to cook a rack of ribs or a single brisket I'll buy one.Like that rf idea.Maybe I'll try a small comp if I get one.Thanks

Gotta chime in as I just had my Lang 36 Patio (1/4" steel) delivered 3 weeks ago and love it (pic's included). One thing, it comes in a lighter stainless steel version that heats up quicker but I bought the heavier 1/4" steel version for smoking. I weighs 600 lbs. plus but is still pretty easy to roll around. It's expensive to ship, cost me over $600 to Utah, but now that it's here, couldn't be happier. My motto applies...you're never dissapointed with the best.
Randy

Attachments

• Lang 36 Unloading.jpg
    Lang 36 Unloading.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Lang 36 Unpacked.jpg
    Lang 36 Unpacked.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Lang 36 Patio On the Patio.jpg
    Lang 36 Patio On the Patio.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 183
How easy and the cost is getting wood for the stick burner vs. charcoal and wood chucks for the WSM?

I don't see places selling hickory logs. But a lot of stores will sell wood chunks and charcoal.

you should be able to find hardwood in your area fairly easy.BTW Stwart that a nice looking smoker you have

How easy and the cost is getting wood for the stick burner vs. charcoal and wood chucks for the WSM?

I don't see places selling hickory logs. But a lot of stores will sell wood chunks and charcoal.

There is more wood in North America than anywhere else in the world AFAIK. Once you start burning wood, you start to keep an eye/ear open for free wood. Soon you'll have more than you know what to do with.

Gotta chime in as I just had my Lang 36 Patio (1/4" steel) delivered 3 weeks ago and love it (pic's included). One thing, it comes in a lighter stainless steel version that heats up quicker but I bought the heavier 1/4" steel version for smoking. I weighs 600 lbs. plus but is still pretty easy to roll around. It's expensive to ship, cost me over $600 to Utah, but now that it's here, couldn't be happier. My motto applies...you're never dissapointed with the best.
Randy

attachment.php

That really is a nice looking Lang. Never cared for their look back when they were propane tank shaped, but that looks pretty slick. :thumb:

Back