Jambo backyard or lang 48

Brig

Found some matches.
Reaction score
In the next few months I plan on purchasing a new smoker. I am torn between the lang and jambo. I have read about both and they seem to be great smokers. Would like some input before I make my finial decision.

I am biased because I own a Jambo backyard, let me get that out if the way. I have a good friend that has a lang 48 so I am familiar with both pits. My take is that the Jambo likes to cook hotter, the sweet spot is between 275-325. It can easily be adjusted using the stack, not the intake like the lang. The Jambo fire box is bigger and insulated. The lang seems to like lower temps, so you might want to think about how hot you want to cook. I also like the 2 small doors on the Jambo, but some would argue that they like the lang door because it offers better access. They are both good pits, you can't go wrong.

Two things... Do you have a set opinion of whether you want a reverse flow or traditional offset? Are you prepared for the Jambo wait time?

Shirley Fabrication Patio. More for your money and better construction.

I'd love to have an insulated firebox and would go with Jambo if I had to chose between the two. However I was about to buy a 48 and went over and ordered a smoker with Shirley Fab. Almost went with an insulated FB but settled with a thicker metal and more options. I can't wait, give him a call and see what he can work out.

By no means am I saying anything bad about the Shirley, but I can't imagine how any pit would have a better construction than a Jambo, everyone I have seen has been flawless.

Sorry, I should of been more clear. I was talking about the Lang. I have never seen a Jambo,but have seen the Lang.

Not sure about the Jambo's shipping cost, but a Lang shipped to the Midwest is expensive. Have you looked at the Yoders? They're made in your own backyard and I'd imagine with what you'd save on shipping you could get a lot more smoker.

Reverse flow not an option I have to had, from what I read the jambo has a pretty constant temp from one end to the other. I have looked at yoders also they seem like a quality pit. But haven't seen to many reviews on them.

They're both great pits but I think that I would choose the Jambo. The reason why is that for me a traditional configuration with tuning plates gives more versatility than the RF design. With the tuning plates I can get even temps across the pit or I can give myself hot spots or cooler spots in the pit with a simple adjustment whereas with the RF you have a more even temp from end to end that is non negotiable. So, if I want to do more than one kind of meat, at a slightly different temp I can and I can also have a holding area in the pit after setting up for a cooler spot while still cooking in the hot spots. The traditional offset has a little more thinking involved in it but again, the versatility is the key for me!:wink:

Your kids and Grand kids will be cooking on your Lang:biggrin1:

I think with all three builders or even the yoder you will get a quality pit. I built a Jambo clone and I would not compromise on the insulated fire box. I love that feature! I would go for biggest bang for my buck and shipping would play a part in my decision. Don't be stubborn on a quality builder, if shipping cost you some features.

Mine is different. It likes to cook just barely north of 250. I like to cook closer to the 270-275 and I have to push it a little and it seems to take a little more intervention to keep it there. Could be that I live at 6,000 feet, too.

Shipping the Jambo to Colorado was in the $325 range.

My take is that the Jambo likes to cook hotter, the sweet spot is between 275-325. It can easily be adjusted using the stack, not the intake like the lang. The Jambo fire box is bigger and insulated. The lang seems to like lower temps, so you might want to think about how hot you want to cook.

Mine is different. It likes to cook just barely north of 250. I like to cook closer to the 270-275 and I have to push it a little and it seems to take a little more intervention to keep it there. Could be that I live at 6,000 feet, too.

Shipping the Jambo to Colorado was in the $325 range.

Interesting. I smoked a few prime ribs last month and it was almost impossible to keep it at 225, it ended up being an exercise on how to keep a very tiny fire burning. I ended up burning mostly lump because once the small split combusted it would be 250+. Mine loves the 275-300 range, that range can be maintained very easily with little or no adjustments during the cook, just consistent sized dry splits. I'm sure altitude has something to do with it, and I'm sure there is a little variance between pits.

That's the way mine is around 255-260. I haven't tried to cook at 225, but I bet it'd be a nightmare, for the reasons you described.

I've ended up running my intakes just about full open, and I'm sure that's due to the lack of air up here. If I close the damper off too much it immediately snuffs the fire, so I have to be very careful when I'm closing it.

Mine loves the 275-300 range, that range can be maintained very easily with little or no adjustments during the cook, just consistent sized dry splits. I'm sure altitude has something to do with it, and I'm sure there is a little variance between pits.

Mine will run all day at 275* i have also tried to cook at 225 with no luck.

Back