• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What fuel when?

F

FireBrewer

Little confused as to which fuel to use when. I have a CG with a SFB so it fits charcoal, chunks and probably small logs. I was under the impression that it was better to use wood than charcoal. :confused: Seems like it's used frequently though.

So what's best to use when?

Thanks! :-D

Well, that's the big question, isn't it?

The most general answer I can give you that isn't likely to get me excoriated by someone is that it's just a case of personal preference. I use a WSM, so charcoal with some wood chunks is the way I go. I don't have any experience with an offset, so I can't really give you any specific information. What I can tell you is that if I were to start cooking on an offset, I'd probably start out with a charcoal bed and add larger chunks (sticks) to it. But that's just my stab at it.

I would agree with VQ, but like him I don't have an offset, Charcoal works just fine for me in the WSM.

I have an offset and what I use is lump charcoal - and then I place a split of wood at the cooking chamber end of the firebox to generate smoke.

Be sure to place it next to the charcoal and not on the charcoal - unless you're trying for Really Smokey flavor - then on the charcoal works.

Me, I'm usually shooting for thin blue smoke coming out of the smoke stack.

I have never cooked with only wood although I know a lot of people do. I use strictly lump charcoal with wood chunks. That way I can control the smoke.

Charcoal and chunks for me.....tried the all wood thing, more trouble than it was worth.

Thanks fellas! Gonna grab more charcoal tomorrow morning. :-D

Well, that's the big question, isn't it?

The most general answer I can give you that isn't likely to get me excoriated by someone is that it's just a case of personal preference. I use a WSM, so charcoal with some wood chunks is the way I go. I don't have any experience with an offset, so I can't really give you any specific information. What I can tell you is that if I were to start cooking on an offset, I'd probably start out with a charcoal bed and add larger chunks (sticks) to it. But that's just my stab at it.

I have two small offsets and that is how I would recommend doing it. If you have a big Klose or Lang type pit you probably would be more likely to go all wood.

I have two small offsets and that is how I would recommend doing it. If you have a big Klose or Lang type pit you probably would be more likely to go all wood.

Well said... just know that you may have to add more pre lit charcoal when your coal bed diminishes. The sticks aren't going to do much for you there.

I start with a chimney of lump and I've got the chimney surrounded by three small logs. When the chimney is ready I dump it in the space the logs are surrounding and they catch almost immediately. This gets me through the first hour or so, when I add another log or two. I use chunks for smaller cooks or to get a flagging fire back up to temp fast.

I start out with an over stuffed chimney of lump. Then place the wood directly on the coals. I usually stick with wood only unless it is really cold out then I would add more lump.

Wood only after starting with a chimney of charcoal on my Lang. Charcoal and chunks of wood for the WSM. charcoal and chips of wood on the weber grill.

Some like to play with their wood, some do not want to continuously play with their wood! If you like getting away from it all(drinking, smoking a pipe, etc.) then by all means play with your wood. If not get charcoal!:tongue:

Off to my room!:biggrin:

Some like to play with their wood, some do not want to continuously play with their wood! If you like getting away from it all(drinking, smoking a pipe, etc.) then by all means play with your wood. If not get charcoal!:tongue:

Off to my room!:biggrin:

That pretty much sums up my opinion. Bed of lit briquettes to start, sticks from there on in with the SKD. If I want to sleep I have used charcoal.

Back