Cameron, MO (June 30 - July 1)

Cameron

We went to this contest last year and didn't care too much for it so we are skipping this year...Good luck and have a great time

Good info to know. What about it wasn't good, Mark? I want to know what to look out for!

Cameron

Nothing too awful bad. First year contest last year and was very unoriginzed(for us), spots were first come first served and just too long of a drive for us for the payouts. People that put it on were very friendly. Didnt have too many certified judges which might be changed this year. Not saying that it was an awful contest but it just is not for us.

Greatgrills said:
Nothing too awful bad. First year contest last year and was very unoriginzed(for us), spots were first come first served and just too long of a drive for us for the payouts. People that put it on were very friendly. Didnt have too many certified judges which might be changed this year. Not saying that it was an awful contest but it just is not for us.

Hmmm... interesting on the CBJ's. Might have to give a quick phone call up there and see what percentage are going to be CBJ's. Might cook backyard style if not many are! LOL! Thanks for the info!

Got the list of teams yesterday... they currently have 34 teams signed up with 3-4 more possible by Friday.

Also found out that the mix of judges is 50/50 certified and local. They have a couple coming up from Florida to judge. Not sure how to read the 50/50 mix. Any suggestions?

I don't know how to read Jeff, but if you have a 12 pack of Bud in the cooler, I will come Friday to learn! Just kidding! Might try to make it up Friday for a while during the day.

Probably means 50% will start at 9 and judge down and the other 50% will start at 6 and be hard to move up past an 8........

Gary, would you adjust your cooking any at all for this mix of judges? I'm sure I've been judged that percentage before but didn't know it.

I wouldnt mind judging out there if they had an opening... No cooking for me until Bellevue.

Jeff,

Cook the same as you always do. As soon as you start making changes based on perceived judging make-up or other contest details, you'll never know why you were successful or otherwise. Let's face it, good food is good food, regardless of who is judging.

See you there!

Rod

kcpellethead said:
Jeff,

Cook the same as you always do. As soon as you start making changes based on perceived judging make-up or other contest details, you'll never know why you were successful or otherwise. Let's face it, good food is good food, regardless of who is judging.

See you there!

Rod
Thanks Rod, you saved me from having to type out the same response! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys! Makes sense.

Rod, didn't know you were cooking Cameron. Dang it, that'll push us a bit lower in the overall! :lol: :lol:

Andy, I placed a call to the guy running Cameron's contest and left a message asking if they need any judges. Are you a CBJ in case he asks? I don't know if I ever asked you that before.

UPDATE - Andy, Phil Lammers just called me back and said they are good on judges. They planned for 40 teams and don't have 40 signed up yet. Come on up anyway if ya want!

Last edited:
We're off to Cameron! You all have a great weekend and hopefully we'll have good things to report by Saturday night!

Have a happy and safe holiday weekend!

Jeff_in_KC said:
We're off to Cameron! You all have a great weekend and hopefully we'll have good things to report by Saturday night!

Have a happy and safe holiday weekend!
Good luck!!!

Congrats to Brother Rod... Pellet Envy took reserve.

Big Creek finished 4th overall and got a 2nd place in pork and our FIRST EVER 1st... BRISKET!!! Chicken we were 13th and Ribs ummm...my fault... I farked up the presentation on my wife's cooking (presentation scores sucked but taste and tenderness were good) and we took 17th in ribs.

Great contest, guys! Payouts were awesome for a smaller contest! If you're a MoFo or KanFo (or anyone who wants to travel), try it out next year.

Good job Jeff.

These appear to be the full results;
35 teams.

Chicken:
1.) Smoking Guns
2.) Jumpin Joe's BBQ
3.) Buffalo's BBQ
4.) Pig Roy
5.) Bare Bones BBQ
6.) In Deep Sauce
7.) Banyon Belle Bar B Q
8.) Toad Hollar
9.) All American BBQ
10.) Rib Stars

Pork Ribs:
1.) Buffalo's BBQ
2.) Pig Roy
3.) Pellet Envy
4.) Sticky Fingers BBQ
5.) Treat America
6.) Jumpin Joe's Bar B Q
7.) One Slice At A Time
8.) Rib Stars
9.) Toad Hollar BBQ
10.) All Sizes BBQ

Pork:
1.) Pig Roy
2.) Big Creek BBQ
3.) Sticky Fingers BBQ
4.) Pellet Envy
5.) Jumpin Joe's Bar B Q
6.) In Deep Sauce
7.) All American BBQ
8.) Nelly Bells
9.) Rib Stars
10.) Dum Sprio Fumus

Brisket:
1.) Big creek BBQ
2.) T's Smokin Pit
3.) Sticky Fingers BBQ
4.) Toad Hollar
5.) Dum Spiro Fumus
6.) WMCC BBQ
7.) Treat America
8.) Pellet Envy
9.) Banyon Belle Bar B Q
10.) Moonlight BBQ

Overall:
10.) IN deep Sauce
9.) All American BBQ
8.) Toad Hollar
7.) Buffalo's BBQ
6.) Smokin Guns
5.) Sticky Fingers BBQ
4.) Big Creek BBQ
3.) Jumpin Joe's Bar B Q
RGC: Pellet Envy
GC: Pig Roy
--------------------------------

Did I miss any Brethren teams????

Great job by all!

TIM

Last edited:
Jeff,

That's an awesome one, two punch to finish fourth overall. Congrats on that brisket win, that was very cool . . . . You're getting there fast!

Rod

P.S. - Don't forget to tell everyone about the gazebo you won!

LOL! Yeah in all the excitement I forgot about that. We won one of the door prizes... a 6x6 gazebo canopy donated by... of all companies... Kingsford!

Rod, if I hadn't let Tammy down on the ribs presentation, we might have done even more. We put her ribs in the box and looked at each other and decided we didn't like the layout in the box. so I started to life a rib up out of the box to change it and the danged parley all stuck to the ribs and came out with it! We were running out of time so I just said "fark it" and we left it like it was. The pork MIGHT have been as much the presentation as anything else. We put a good sized pile of chopped pork in the upper left corner of the box then going from upper right, down the right side and curving across the bottom, we "shingled" some really tender sliced medallions of pork. It looked fantastic. In fact, our pork scores were 999, 999, 999, 888, 888, 888.

We're exhausted tonight but very pleased and ready to go give the "A" game in Grand Rapids, Michigan in two weeks!

Back