Money meat bark

Smokin' Gnome BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering what you do to have a flavorful and "tender" pork bark. mine seems to be tuff, I spray and foil but I really dont think it becomes "tender". Any ideas? Thanks

Do you foil? If so, when and do you add moisture?

I foil about 160-170, I add a couple of sprays of "juice" but the bark is still not bite through.I unfoil and pull around 190ish depending on turn ins, most time they sit for a couple of hours in a cooler. what do you think?

try more liquid and make sure when you wrap it is a good seal. When you hold you can vent slightly if you want. I suggest you experiment a few times with how much liquid, different types and holding with and without vent. Hopefully something will work for you.

try more liquid and make sure when you wrap it is a good seal. When you hold you can vent slightly if you want. I suggest you experiment a few times with how much liquid, different types and holding with and without vent. Hopefully something will work for you.
Should I foil money meat down in the liquid? I was basting/spraying with out much tenderizing luck. thanks for you help!!!

Sal

Up. It will steam while in the smoker so it will get tender. And that's why you may want to vent so it will stop steaming.

If your barks that hard already when you foil, are you getting to much smoke or bad smoke?

Sal, Is there a lot of salt in your rub and are you rubbibg several hours before you throw it on the smoker? Just thinking maybe the rub is pulling out a bunch of surface moisture leaving it dry and tough from the start.

Tom

What temp are your running? You could be really baking the outside with higher temps?
With that said, what cooker you useing?

I foil about 160-170, I add a couple of sprays of "juice" but the bark is still not bite through.I unfoil and pull around 190ish depending on turn ins, most time they sit for a couple of hours in a cooler. what do you think?

I agree with Ford... I usually add close to a 3/4 cup of AJ to the package when foiling and have never had the problem.

Hi Sal
Could the meat be sitting on a hot spot and drying out the meat? Just a thought.

When I foil on the grill and in the cooler it tends to steam and then I loose the bark texture. Has the bark color but is too soft.

I think all the pointers are great!! I will try to add a little more "juice" and that may be the ticket! THANKS!!!

Back