UDS Twins...Only Different Mothers

SmokeWatcher

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
While repairing my original UDS after last weeks grease fire (on the left), I decided it was time to finish it's sister that I began long ago. It's mom was a cheap-arse Uni-Flame from Wally World. It has a hinged lid with its own half-grate, and the intakes have 90 degree elbows so that the in-rushing air doesn't blow directly onto the coal basket...which I still haven't made yet. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to use the unique top, and after getting the hinges set right, I flattened the lip of the lid so that it seals nicely against the drum flange. Since it has no basket of its own yet, I'm going to use the basket from UDS#1 to test-fire this thing and see how it rides.

Oh by the way...The temperature reading on the dial is because it 110 in the shade here today...gotta love AZ summers!

Attachments

• IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 149
Need more details on the hinges. But I LOVE the directional swirl inducing intakes. Are you a cylinder head porter?

Need more details on the hinges. But I LOVE the directional swirl inducing intakes. Are you a cylinder head porter?
No, I'm just a tinkerer...always trying to make something just a little better. The Uni-Flame 22" grill comes with a hinged lid, so of course I had to make a UDS with it! After I flattened out the flange on the lid, I added 1/2" spacers to the upper hinge to get it past the lip and line up correctly with the lower half. I'm not sure how much weight the upper grate (attached to the lid) will hold, but I had to keep it too!

I never cease to be amazed at the ingenuity and detail shown by you UDS builders.

Back