foiling

Roaster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
why do people get the food to a certain temp then foil. Then put it back in the smoker till the finishing temp. Then take it out and then let it rest in the cooler. Why not just take it to the finish temp then foil and put in cooler.

Roaster

Foil is a tool that can be used to overcome problems that YOU may be having, not that everyone may have.

Foil is handy when:

• Your color has developed too quickly and you want to stop the darkening. Sometimes full wrapping is not required here, maybe a boat or a tent is all that is needed.
  • You are having trouble getting a finished product is not too smoky for your tastes.
  • You are having trouble getting a finished product as moist as you like.
  • You need to speed up the cook to meet a planned sit-down time.
  • In the case of ribs, you want to produce a product that is fall-off-the-bone tender.
  • In the case of pastrami, you might prefer braising the corned beef in foil following smoking.

yeah what thirdeye said. sometimes I foil, most times I don't. But resting in the cooler works great everytime.

Foiling is a technique that allows you to achieve results that are much harder to come by using traditional methods. I personally view foil as a tool, and it has its time and its place. After cooking for a while, it is very hard for me to imagine cooking butts or brisket without finishing in foil and a cooler. However, I can achieve better bark without foil, but the taste of the meat is much better and jucier with. But to each his or her own.

roaster said:
why do people get the food to a certain temp then foil. Then put it back in the smoker till the finishing temp

Only because I was told too the first time I smoked a brisket. It turned out great so I dont want to change.

nmayeux said:
it is very hard for me to imagine cooking butts or brisket without finishing in foil and a cooler.

But I have never foiled butts. I may give that a try next time.:idea:

Back