Blue smoke?

wickedbbq'r

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been smoking BBQ for about three years now, and have not heard of blue smoke until after joining this site recently. I use a char-griller with side fire box. I would normally start the coal in a chimmney and then add to the fire box. I would then add the wood chunks to the fire. When the smoke started the food went on. Should I start the chunks in a chimmney as well? And when the white smoke is gone, is that when the blue begins? Help!

I preheat the wood on top of the firebox. It then ignites immediately when added to the hot coals. No white smoke, just sweet blue.

Don't add it to the chimney, you are on the right track of adding it on the coals. We may never get to this level of blue (look to the left) but it is always nice to dream!

I have been smoking BBQ for about three years now, and have not heard of blue smoke until after joining this site recently. I use a char-griller with side fire box. I would normally start the coal in a chimmney and then add to the fire box. I would then add the wood chunks to the fire. When the smoke started the food went on.Should I start the chunks in a chimmney as well? And when the white smoke is gone, is that when the blue begins? Help!

Allow the smoker to warm up empty (without food) while the smoker will chug out white smoke (about 45-60 minutes) During this time... preheat your wood chunks. Add meat when smoker is up to temp. Blue smoke means a clean , hot smoke.

Do you have a raised firegrate or a charcoal box? Would benefit air ventilation and cleaner burns. The pic is not my own... but is the best example of white/blue smoke I saw .
attachment.php

I just took these pics. The BSKD is running about 300* with Oak and Cherry, The UDS is running about 225* with briquettes and Cherry.
DSCF0283.jpg

DSCF0284.jpg

On your chargriller, put the wood on the smoke box handle, the top one not the bottom one. You can stack a 6" to 8" pieces on it and add as needed.

Get a larger charcoal basket and you can do longer smokes without adding...more sleep time.

Hope this helps and wear gloves because they do get warm.

Attachments

• wood pile.jpg
    wood pile.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 537
Kevin, Char-griller sells a flat top to add to the firebox. Looks like I need to pick one up. How long should I leave the chunks on there before adding to the fire?

I put a few chunks on about 20 minutes before I'll need to add fuel. Keep an eye on them though. They will catch fire.

Thanks everyone, I can see by joining this site I will be increasing my barbeque IQue. Enjoy the rest of your Labor Day weekend!

We always add at least one chunk in the chimney to get that really mellow smoke flavor. It will add mildness to the overall smoke flavor. We add chunks as well but you might be surprised with that little extra flavor. You have a true piece of wood smoking. Just a thought.

Back