Have $3-4K to spend....what to do???

You have a great problem- deciding with a nice budget. I think the most important things you need to ask yourself are:

1. How much effort do you want to put into the cook? A Superior gravity fed smoker is going to be the least work for sure. The BWS Fatboy is a little more effort to get going with the slide out charcoal tray and water pan. It takes a lot longer for me to get to temp with the Fatboy than with the gravity fed. Obviously you would have to feed the Jambo every 45-60 minutes and that means no sleep if you plan on overnight cooks.

Primary cooks are butts and packers, so most cooks will run long. Superior is in lead today, but cost see,s way too much when compared to WSM and a bit more work... If only WSM had cabinet door!!! maybe there's a potential mod :)

2. What capacity do you need? Are full pans a big deal to you?

given typical cooks, i'd like a sheet to hold a full packer without having to bend it over cans and such (typically approach in WSM) same for ribs, would rathe lay them flat than skewer and such every time

3. What temps do you like to cook at normally? The Superior and Jambo will easily cook at higher temps (275+) while the Fatboy likes to coast in the 225-250 range. The Fatboy can go higher, especially without water but it is much harder to control the temp over a long period without water.

250-275. Started off looking at the fatboy, but just cant get over the water pan and potential clean up.

Also look ss1

SS-1 with same options as SS-2 I mentioned earlier just add $400 to cost and I'm not sure I need all that capacity. SS-2 is probably as big as I'll ever need, even after adding capacity for the occasional event and such. Part of the 3600 for the SS-2 was adding in 2 more sliders and sheets for when i want to drop in tons of wings or ribs

As usually, more homework to do. I thank everyone for their help and input. Current race standings are as follows:

1. WSM 22 - about 3k less than the Superior for a bit more work and a little less capacity
2. Superior - what i really want but can't justify the incremental value of versus WSM
3. Jambo - because deep down we all want to be cavemen from time to time

DNF - Fatboy - while a blend of WSM and Superior features, not the right blend for me.

Just wanted to say welcome to te forum.

You have a good lookin list, generous budget and a lot of good input already so I won't duplicate other than to second the recommendations to maybe get a couple different ones, maybe the WSM and an offset stickburner? If you need a grill a 26.75 OTG and the 22.5 WSM would make a great pair too. Best of luck.

Last edited:
If you want a GF and want to cut the price in half look at the Backyard Bomber. The pictures on his site are old. The new smokers are much better looking. I nearly bought one before Abe's made me a deal I couldn't resist (only builder that would negotiate on shipping and upgrades). It's weird that when I talked about a GF everyone kept telling me about grease fires and bridging. I guess those guys are in vacation?

As so many major brands of cookers have been listed, don't forget to check out
Spicewine Ironworks. They may a product that is built to last a very, very, long time.

That's a big budget. I just couldn't make myself spend that kind of money on 1 cooker. If you really want to spend it all I would recommend a Shirley Fabrication offset and an Abe's cabinet. That way you can stick burn when you have the time and the kids are not around or use the set it and forget it cabinet when you are busy or the kids are running around. Both of these guys are great to work with, not that the ones you listed are not but these guys will do anything you need. They also can probably save you some money. The WSM can hold it's own and that has been proven over and over. Not trying to change your mind on builders but just thinking of what I would do if it were me and were in your situation. With an offset and a vertical you won't have that feeling that you should have gotten the "other one".

I like this option as it gives you lots of versatility. I don't have a Shirley fab but I have a custom reverse flow offset by a local builder(cookers by kev) and a pair of abes smokers. I also have a meadow creex BX50 that I am really enjoying but this thing is both big and heavy!

If even remotely considering an offset cooker,you owe it to yourself to give Paul & Tyler a call at Shirley Fab..Paul is a great guy to talk cookers with..Also SFs prices are a bargain compared to other real stickburners out there.

The UDS is one of the best values in all of BBQ & a really incredible all around cooker.
Every home deserves its own UDS IMO..

Someone was gonna Say it so it might as well be me.
If you have the time to tend a fire on everycook you do and if your a L&S cooker that can run 24 hrs on some brisket cooks then get the Jambo. IMO the flavor difference and Quality of the end product from an all wood cook is worth the effort.
If you're not that dedicated build a UDS or buy a cabinet and add a Weber 26 OTG to your tool shed. A UDS will hold what ever temp you set it at until it burns out so you don't need no stinkin blower so Mo meat & beer money

Someone was gonna Say it so it might as well be me.
If you have the time to tend a fire on everycook you do and if your a L&S cooker that can run 24 hrs on some brisket cooks then get the Jambo. IMO the flavor difference and Quality of the end product from an all wood cook is worth the effort.
If you're not that dedicated build a UDS or buy a cabinet and add a Weber 26 OTG to your tool shed. A UDS will hold what ever temp you set it at until it burns out so you don't need no stinkin blower so Mo meat & beer money

^^^ I agree with Bludawg. I have a DigiQ and sometimes hook it up to my UDS but it doesn't need it at all. I only hook it up because I bought it prior to the UDS and it's ok for insurance on overnight cooks. I've watched my pit for 8+ hours and never once saw the fan kick on. I also agree with the Jambo assessment. I'm planning to build a stick burner similar to a Jambo next month. If I lived within a drive I wouldn't be building, I would be picking one up from Jamie.

On all the Shirley comments, aren't they booked until June? They have a lot of fans on here but time might be an issue if you're looking to cook this spring. I could be wrong but that's what I read on another thread.

Good luck in your search!

Backwoods Party G2, about $2700. Cooks everything you'd want to do and you don't need a stand for it. I love mine, great flavor and easy to use.

If your thinking gravity fed look at the Assassin line. I have an Assassin 28 and love it. Easiest thing I've ever cooked on. The superior line is built by the same person that builds the assassin. The Assassin 28 was $3,000 and came with the Digi Q included for that price. A lot of bang for the buck. If you have questions you can pm me.

Back