Sharing Proprietary Info

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

With competition classes and the recent spate of competition books, what do you think is fair and reasonable information to share with your teammates?

If you're going to be using tips and recipes from a book by Superstar Team X, should everyone on your team buy that book?

Do you have any qualms about sharing everything that you learned at a class with the rest of your team?

Eric

If they are your team then I think its all open. It is a TEAM. If my either my father or I went to a cooking class I feel that he who tell me everything that he learned and vice versa. But again we are not a huge award winning team, we walk but not consistently .

Let's answer in an example..

If the legendary Sledneck was my teammate, and he took a class or got a free copy of a Mixon book to "review" for his silly BBQ Illuminati blog that no one reads and we showed up at a contest and he covered his bottles, and hid his notes and wouldn't share, I'd tell him to go fark himself and figure out how to get by the rest of the contest on his own

:heh:

Good question. It is a team and you are working for a common goal to win for the team. Info should be shared with teammates.

Books can be borrowed from the library for free so tell anybody. Class, well if you did everything exactly like in the class maybe not but if you took some techniques and modified them to your style, cooker,etc the sure tell everybody. I've taken 5 classes over the years and taken things from each. I invite people to cook with me and they see everything I do if they get there before noon friday, stay half sober and they get up early enough Saturday. I'm glad to help newer cooks out.

Let's answer in an example..

If the legendary Sledneck was my teammate, and he took a class or got a free copy of a Mixon book to "review" for his silly BBQ Illuminati blog that no one reads and we showed up at a contest and he covered his bottles, and hid his notes and wouldn't share, I'd tell him to go fark himself and figure out how to get by the rest of the contest on his own

:heh:
If the shoe was on the other foot i would drop your chicken. oops i just remembered i already done that :becky:

When you get right down to it, very little is truly proprietary information. Coveted techniques kept secret do not constitute proprietary, especially when most of those (if not all of them) have been published and taught by many books and classes LONG before Al Gore invented the internet.

As for books, I've only read Startin' the Fire by George w/ WATG? I recommended it to our old teammates, but hell if I was going to loan them the autographed copy.

Sharing class techniques with teammates becomes a slippier slope in my opinion. Yes, we've shared what we've learned in classes, but only with teammates. Did I feel slightly guilty about it? Yes.

As for sharing class info with non-teammates. Never.

If you are a member of a true team, this question wouldn't even be asked.

I suppose if you work with a group of people who come together at cookoffs for financial or resource purposes you might feel differently. There are five members of our team, (four are cooks) and what we do is a group effort. Keeping secrets would dilute the strength of the team and negate the ability to back each other up when someone can't make it to a show.

What do you consider a teamate? Some one who helps with the competition process, or some one who is only along because he has the RV or wants to chip in on and drink the beer? If it's the latter, I see no need to share information because they aren't involved. If it's the former, why wouldn't you share information? Isn't the point to do well as a team? Wouldn't it make the most sense to share information with other members of the team who compete so that you as a team do better? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

dmp

IMO, a teammate is someone who shares the blood sweat and tears. They load in and load out and are there to cook or assist throughout the entire competition.

The seagulls that show up to sample and sit on a Saturday aren't teammates and get no proprietary info.

If they are your team then I think its all open. It is a TEAM. If my either my father or I went to a cooking class I feel that he who tell me everything that he learned and vice versa. But again we are not a huge award winning team, we walk but not consistently .

Yeah, you walk....right to the jameson :shocked:

crookidly that is

If you are a member of a true team, this question wouldn't even be asked.

I suppose if you work with a group of people who come together at cookoffs for financial or resource purposes you might feel differently. There are five members of our team, (four are cooks) and what we do is a group effort. Keeping secrets would dilute the strength of the team and negate the ability to back each other up when someone can't make it to a show.

You do realize that the other option is to buy a few more copies of the book, right?

Eric

Hi,

With competition classes and the recent spate of competition books, what do you think is fair and reasonable information to share with your teammates?

If you're going to be using tips and recipes from a book by Superstar Team X, should everyone on your team buy that book?

Do you have any qualms about sharing everything that you learned at a class with the rest of your team?

Eric

You can share books with whomever you want. You just can't make copies of them, or any parts of them. The same is true for Movie DVDs and music.

As long as no copies are made, you are legally able to share your books with other people.

CD

I'm of the persuasion if I buy the book I now own the info imparted to me from it.
If I own the book, I can let anyone I want read it and also own the info.
If I watch a tv show, that which I learn is mine to keep or share.
If I take your class, that what you sell to me as information is also mine to do with what I want.
Seems relatively simple to me...
Ed

If I read something from a book, it's now my knowledge. I'll tell anyone who asks. As far as information sharing goes, we all do everything together as a team. No secrets are withheld, and if another team wants to know, just ask. I'll tell you exactly what I do, doesn't mean we'll have the same results.

Back