Should BBQ Pit-masters go back to the season 1 Format?

Should BBQ PIT MASTERS CHANGE THEIR EPISODE FORMAT?

• Season 1

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • Current season

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • A mixture of episodes?

Votes: 15 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the show, but last nights episode mirrored season 1 which I happened to like better. So Brethren what's the consensus? The current format or move back to season 1?

seemed more authentic when they featured 3-4 teams that were competing against hundreds. Even if the teams you were watching didnt win, I liked it. The format of just the 3 teams competing doesn't seem right. And the fact that they "force" the smack talk doesn't add much to the show.

I loved Season one... speaking of the recent season, last nights Episode has not been added to Youtube yet even though I've paid for it!

I only watched a few episodes of season one. Too much "Reality TV drama queen" chit for me.

I think season two, without the run to the truck and stupid side challenges, is the way to go. Give the competitors some meat and a side, and some time, and see what they can do. Whoever cooks the best meal wins.

CD

Absolutely. The phony bickering really doesn't help. On top of which by actually showing the different competitions it really added a dimension to the show. Hopefully they change the format.

The only thing i didnt like about last night was my wife constantly complaining how annoying the son was.

I personally like season 1 type as it was them vs everyone else but due to the fact "them" didn't win too often set it back as far as tv goes (not good for tv when the stars fail). I'd personally like to see them follow a rookie team in a kinda "so you want to compete in bbq contests so here's what it's like" & maybe have long time teams in it like Myron, Bubba Q, etc that we've seen & know. Maybe create a new rookie team each year???

I personally like season 1 type as it was them vs everyone else but due to the fact "them" didn't win too often set it back as far as tv goes (not good for tv when the stars fail). I'd personally like to see them follow a rookie team in a kinda "so you want to compete in bbq contests so here's what it's like" & maybe have long time teams in it like Myron, Bubba Q, etc that we've seen & know. Maybe create a new rookie team each year???
That's a great idea. Kinda like they did with Pablo Diablo BBQ.

I actually like the Season 2 format (which I assume is similar in Season 3/4?? made it that far yet) better, but only if they got rid of/changed the side challenges. I thought it was stupid to send a team off because they had the worst side. I'm with CD... best set up would be pick a meat and a side and see who wins.

However I understand that since it's made for TV and they are going for "drama" they probably need to keep the challenges in the middle. My suggestion would be to not punish a team for last, but reward a team for first. Some kind of advantage...they can pick if the go 1st, 2nd, or so on...they get 10 extra minutes to plate, etc... Might not be a "realistic" comp but it's also a reality show so...

The only thing I didn't like about the first season was that it was the same teams. There were parts of that I found interesting but I like seeing different teams compete...you get more different processes. Johnny Trigg isn't changing the way he makes his ribs...after an episode it's the same stuff. When you change teams you get different styles.

I really liked Season 3s format, but they didn't go into their processes enough. And more discussion & interaction between the Judges. Also, I was hoping for an episode where the judges had to do Brisket, Pulled Pork & Ribs and have the winners of each round Judge them. That would have been fun.

Wow, Look at the poll so far,not even close. I hope Destination America reps see this.

Unfortunately, marketing execs do not pay attention to a small group of vocal "purists" like we are 8).

The only poll they are interested in is the ratings numbers which generate ad sales and revenue and that is why they are in business.

I totally understand that.

TIM

I really doubt that season 1 format will ever return. The cost of production for that type format would be very high. There is also the fact that your "stars" may not win or even get calls. I am glad they dropped all the hokey stuff from season 2. What they have now is probably the best blend in terms of general audience appeal and us BBQ fanatics who, face the facts, are a very small segment of their audience.

Season one defiantly..

I think they should just pick a few teams to follow on each episode "Event".... Who cares if its Myron or Tuffy... I want to see some other people too... is this not suppose to be a reality show????

i definitely would prefer season 1 and if they are not gonna bring season 1 format back then their should be a seperate show call "the competition trail" or something like that..would be good if tlc or another network thought of the idea

I love all of it - i am not going to be picky when there aren't many bbq show alternatives!

That said, I miss season one - it was better than all the others combined.

Back