How do you get cookers to a new cook off?

Babyboomerboy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
We are starting a new cook off next month and want to know how you get cookers to come to a new contest? We are in the Bullsheet and we are going to be a State Championship cook off but we are still short of the required 15 contestants needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Man I wish I could cook this contest. I have another commitment that weekend. For the money and what you guys are offering it looks like a great contest. How many do you have signed up?

We only have 9 cookers signed up at this time. I have been told that the entrys come in at the last minute but since we have been working on this contest for 6 months and only have 9 committed, we are starting to get a little antsie......

We'll be driving right by you on our way to Tulsa that weekend.

We only have 9 cookers signed up at this time. I have been told that the entrys come in at the last minute but since we have been working on this contest for 6 months and only have 9 committed, we are starting to get a little antsie......

I understand what you you mean. Your post you made here will get people's attention. Is'nt your entry fee only $100 and you get free water and electricy and showers. I think you guys will get the numbers your are looking for. Its still over a month out.

Contact all the surrounding states' bbq associations if they have them. Many have e-mail lists they can use to let their membership know you are still looking for teams. I get e-mails just like this all the time from the Iowa BBQ Society.

Post on the forums too. Let people know why this contest is superior to the contest they are planning on attending that weekend. I think a lot of cookers are attracted to a good ratio of entry fees/payout. Also--post who the current field of competitors. Some people might be attracted to a comp if they no a certain team is/not going to be there.

Good luck! I think most of it is that cookers wait til' the last minute. It is sometimes hard to write that entry fee check prior to a few weeks out, especially if there is a chance something might come up and they can't make it. Most of the time they are then out the money.

You will be suprised how many teams will sign up in the last two weeks. I had 11 teams sign up in the 10 days before the contest. Doesnt help much with the planning but the teams just dont wnat to give up their money.

We all get worried about a month out that we wont have the teams but then we usually end up getting them. All i can pass along to you is what a well respected organzier told me...relax they will come.

Speaking from the team side...

While we may plan our schedule out in spring to cover May through October, we also have families (I have a daughter in college, one of our team has 2 sons (14 & 16) and two grand daughters, and yet another has 2 sons younger than 7) and things do crop up...

While I understand that you as the comp organizer would like to know (and have entry fee's paid) as early as possible, we as competitors would have a tough time getting the money back if we had to drop out.

It is our practice to send in our application and check 3 to 4 weeks ahead of the date. I know some teams that cut it even closer (1 to 2 weeks)...

Please understand, I'm not trying to give excuses, I'm just trying to show you our side...

Thanks for listening, I'll go to my room now....

We are not willing (nor able) to pay more that a couple of events ahead.
Right now, we have one in June and one in July--both paid.
Slow period down here with the heat.
I have been ahead as many as 4 when the pace is more frantic.

45-60 days early is about our limit.

However, we do email or phone and let the organizer know our intentions (subject to change of course).
I think that is a basic courtesy.

Good Luck.

TIM

" How do you get cookers to a new cook off? "

I pull mine with my Chevy. Occasionally, I'll have Darrick pull it with his Ford. I have seen some teams using a Dodge, and once I saw a team using a Toyota to pull their cooker.

I am surprised by the cheap entry and great things you are offering that you are not filling up faster. I wish I wasn't so far away, Could you come and do this in NY?

WHAT WILL YOU RECEIVE AT THIS YEARS COOKOFF?

Cook sites 20x30. Larger sites are available.

Free Showers available for the cookers in the dressing room at the pool across the street from the stadium

Free coffee, donuts, and Ice cream on Friday night for the cookers.

A free case of bottled water for each team

Free electric and water

Free Ice

Charter member status for the 1st year entries

Money, Trophy, and Banner for Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champions

Custom made iron BBQ tools for the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion

Money and trophies for the first 5 places in each meat category

Ribbons for sixth through tenth place

Money Awards
Grand Champion $1000.00
Reserve Grand Champion $500.00
First in each meat category $150.00
Second in each meat category $125.00
Third in each meat category $100.00
Fourth in each meat category $75.00
Fifth in each meat category $50.00
Notice to all Teams entering the
First Annual Hay Capital BBQ Cook Off
and Bike Show
By entering the First Annual Hay Capital Barbeque Cook Off and Bike Show you are automatically a Charter Member of this contest. As such you will receive special benefits at each annual cook off after the first event. You will receive a discount on your entry fee. You will receive priority for selecting a cooking site. You will receive a special goodie bag and you will receive discount coupons at area merchants.
This applies only to those Teams that enter the First Hay Capital BBQ Cook Off and Bike Show

After reading the above, it sounds like you could give lessons on what cooks want at a comp!

Unfort. 650 miles is outside of our range this year (except if we get that invite to the AR)...

I really wish you a ton of luck!!!

I'm a world away but if I wasn't I would be there in a shot!

As Rob said, we're in Tulsa or would definately consider. We know the host team and have a promise in on this one. With everything being offered for the 1st year and charter teams, it's hard to pass up.

Back