View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #106
fatty
On the road to being a farker

Hey there folks!

Glad to have found this site and joined up!
I have a dera and it was like buying a pant size...between my weber performer and this bandera I am fat!
so I bought it from a man who brang it up from Texas he passed and the family did not want it. It was mint went i got it but over the years between the crap cover, a blue tarp and Canadian winters it has surface rust all over.
I read the 101 mods and that is happening asap. baffle fire box and fire bricks...I do alot of montreal style smoked meat briskets...I am fat...
so I am debating on taking it apart and painting it or just painting it as is... i have started sanding by hand with wire brush and sand paper.
questions:
what paint should i use to repaint the out side?
if i take it apart what should the new bolts and nuts be made of, anything special?
inside the fire box and the smoker box there is some surface rust too...do you repaint the insides of these? the fire box I am not to worried about but the smoker box...should I paint in there, or just sand and season with a few coats of vegetable oil...I don't want to lose all the seasoning that is in there but i do not want it to rust.
Covers who has a good idea for covers?
OK well thanks and i hope to contribute thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-29 13.17.55.jpg (25.7 KB, 1010 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-04-29 13.18.04.jpg (27.2 KB, 1002 views)

Last edited by fatty; 04-30-2013 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote