Pork chops

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be in Lockhart yesterday, so I paid a visit to Kreuz Market. I had been to Black's before, but not Smitty's or Kreuz and Kreuz won the coin toss.

The wife and I split some brisket, pork chops, original sausage, and the jalapeno cheddar sausage.

The pork chops were outstanding, some of the best bbq I've had. The were cut to order off a roast, and I'm guessing it was a center cut loin, bone-in if there is such a thing. The chop looked like a t-bone. The sausages were very good, and the brisket was OK.

So, I'm looking for some help on how to make this pork at home. My plan is to start with a simple brine or injection for the roast, and coat it lightly with my normal pork rub. I don't know how hot to cook it or anything like that, so I'd like some advice. Is there a certain cut of pork I should use?

I don't know, but will closely watch for the Brethren's input...

There will be no injection unless you instantly want to start from your own place instead of where they started at.

View attachment 34622

View attachment 34621
The Outer edge shows. On this day the brisket wasn't spot on either.

In an experiment one should always start right from where the source started. First you need to duplicate what they did before you go your own route which could even be better. Drawing from the first attempt and then brining (a big mistake unless you like ham at their temp) you can taste your second attempt then KNOW where to go next.

As for Kruez market - salt and pepper course grind would be their basic rub but I know they have about a 25 25 25 mix of cayenne, garlic and onion powders rubbed in before the final rub. But this is not always the case.

Temp is the typical hot 300 - 326. If you are Leary about your equipment stay at 270 -325.

Since you don;t know the feel of a entire pork roast like that you will need to use an IT therm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use all different kinds of cuts depending what's on sale. Pork loin is the driest. I've done whole roasts and chops on the grill. You can find all kids of bone in pork chops from thick to thin. I really like country ribs as they have the most fat so moister and usually really cheap. For all types I usually just rub and do indirect on the grill. So far my favorite is McCormicks pork rub and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Five pould roast takes about 1:15 to 1:30 at 350. Chops 30-45 min depending on thickness. Haven't tried brining yet but need to. Either way ot always comes out good.

Thanks - nice pictures. I wasn't thinking of injecting fab or anything, just injecting a brine versus soaking in brine. I thought the inside meat was pretty salty. Not too much, but more than I would expect from natural pork. I thought it might have been brined, but sounds like that's not their style.

Thanks - nice pictures. I wasn't thinking of injecting fab or anything, just injecting a brine versus soaking in brine. I thought the inside meat was pretty salty. Not too much, but more than I would expect from natural pork. I thought it might have been brined, but sounds like that's not their style.

This is interesting you say this. Very Interesting. I wonder if they do now. Hmm. You cannot mistake salty INTERIOR meat.

That looks to me like a center cut bone in loin chop. They are easily cooked whole, much more difficult to cook as chops. Do nothing smaller than a double chop.

I think a good starting point is to rub with garlic, then medium grind pepper and kosher salt, if you want to use a more flavored rub, put it on after the garlic and before the salt and pepper. Oh, do not over trim, you want that layer of fat.

Run or grill or smoker hot, sear the sides and then reduce heat, or go indirect, and cook to 145F internal. Remove from heat and rest, your finished temperature should be 150F-155F when fully rested. I tent with foil when resting.

Thanks, I'm going to give this a try on Sunday. Hopefully I'll remember to take some pictures.

Back