Smoker

V

VZ

I currently have and use a large trailer home made smoker. I am looking to get a smaller easy to use smoker that can be left alone for several hours without sacrificing quality smoke flavor. I want to be able to get a real smoky flavor or moderate if wanted. I'm looking at the Weber smoky mountain 22.5 in., the smaller Good One, and the Onyx oven smoker. Which of these is the best choice and why? Keep in mind the prices of each when recommending. You can private message me. Thanks for your time. Suggestions for a better choice than the ones I've found would be appreciated also. A pellet smoker is a choice i have looked into, the only thing ive read that i dont like is some claim they dont put a lot of smoke in your meat. Any input on that would be appreciated also.

Last edited by a moderator:
You dont specify your budget for us, but out if the ones u listed i would go with the smokey mountain ..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I have the 22.5 WSM and the Onyx. I like both, but I would take the Onyx hands down over the WSM. Here are my reasons:

1. 7lbs. of charcoal will last you 15+ hours at 250 degrees. ( I have gotten 19 hours).
2. You can shut off the smoke and turn the Onyx into a oven.
3. Three sheves are accessible without moving racks.
4. The Onyx has a door versus a lid.
5. Wind is not going to impact the Onyx like it will the WSM.

Those are my thoughts (unpopular as most will find them).

the onyx got a bad review or two with their first units and amongst the brethren people are gunshy...it is a fabulous cooker and it fits full pans

Back