• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking Butts

"Bone to Bark" BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've cooked a few pork butts before, but I always placed the meat directly on the grates. I've seen quite a few people cooking them in pans right from the get go, and then foiling them in the pan to finish! My question is, which method would get the better results as far as building a bark, tenderness, etc? Or is it just one of those personal preference things?

i start in pan ""whats left of the fat cap" down. smoke dont penetrate fat anyway. natural juices that collect in the pan create steam that creates a moist product. it also gives you auj justo mix with sauce just before turn in :-D

I cook in pans now with a cooling rack in pan to keep butts from sitting in juices the whole cook. I wrap when I get the desired color and remove when they get to desired temp and they are already ready for the holding box. I sit the foil pan into a stainless steel pan and slide it in the holding box. Also, I remove fat cap from bottom of butt. I cook on a Stumps and it holds moisture remarkably great. Besides, why cook stuff you dont want to eat if you don't have to?

Back