• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How long for a flat?

Soybomb

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was at the store today and saw chunks of briskets for $1.59 a pound. I always cook packers but couldn't resist for the price. I grabbed about a 7 pound chunk of mostly flat.

Any rough time frame ideas on how long it will need to cook? My chuck cooks have taught me that time/pound doesn't scale well between packers and small cuts like chuck roasts.

I did a 7.1lb flat as my first cook in the WSM 18.5. Running it between 225 and 250, it took 10 hours.

My vote it to ask your butcher for some sirloin fat to mix in the grinder with the flat. YOu will have some awesome ground beef at a great price.

Someone has to be a smarta@@ and I'm feeling like that person tonight... approximate cooking time, cook it till its done!

What ^^^^HE^^^^ said.....:becky:

No way to tell for sure. I'd bet it'll take at least 8 and could take up to 12 hours. Cook until probe tender!:thumb:

Someone has to be a smarta@@ and I'm feeling like that person tonight... approximate cooking time, cook it till its done!
No doubt but you've gotta get in the ballpark to stay out of the dog house :becky:

fair enough... 7# at 230-240, I'd check it at 6 hours, after that you'll get an idea where you are at.. the brisket will make up its mind, but I've had a 8# flat get stuck at 178 for 2 hours before and like Wampus said "anywhere between x and x amount of hours.

I plan on 45-60 minutes a #, give or take, @ 225-250. It's done when it's done. Or you can really speed it up if you cook hot and fast.

When it's done. Are you foiling? 1 1/2 hours per pound is a guideline.

Foiling at about 165 IT will make the cook time a little more predictable, but an ornery brisket might still surprise you. At about 250, I would allow 10 hours and another for resting if you're planning dinner. It might be done in 8 or 9, but the extra rest time will not be a problem.

Yes, if you have a hard deadline then foil. That'll compress time like a mutha.

I just did a 9# flat. I smoked it at 250 for 10 hours (it was at 180) then foiled it for two hours- it was like buttah, as they say.

I pulled mine at 3:00 so almost a full 9 hours. I placed it in a Full size pan dumped n a small thing of beef broth and have it resting in my 120 Qt Cooler. That i pre-warmed covered with Aluminum foil and towel. My Thermometer went in like butter pulled it out at about 198

Last weekend i did a 6# brisket hot & fast at 350°F and it took 3 h 15m. Foiled at 165, probe slid in like buttah when it was about 200. It was my first brisket on the UDS, but I'm sold on the whole hot & fast bandwagon.

Back