Chicken Skin Experiment with Heavy Pron

Neat--can you share the other parameters (time temp &c). Thanks for doing the experiment.

Heat was held steady by the guru at 275. Directly on the grate except for the 2 that had a butter bath (built a small foil boat for those and sealed it when internal temp was 145). All were pulled with an internal temp of 170. I wanted to do 14 others the same way and take to 180 but that's for another day.

Thanks for taking the time to do the test. Very informative and as a newbie I had never heard of scraping. Will for sure give it a try.

Thanks for sharing your results. Scraping chicken skin...for those who don't know, next time you go to a comp take a look at the hung-over team member who is assigned to chicken Saturday morning scrapping a fark-load of thighs. Worst job on the team! :sick::puke::bolt:

Last edited:
Just wanted to give a big THANKS for doing this, I get bite thru skin with what I'm currently doing but always wondered about other options I can see I got at least one more to try!

Clint

Gosh, what great research! But I wonder...

I really enjoy doing my chicken HnF. Mostly I just set the old Weber up in the usual way - coals on one side, empty on the other. After whatever rub I am in the mood for, I direct grill the chicken over the coals, flipping often enough not to burn, but giving enough time to get the skin nice and crispy. Then I move the chicken over to indirect, add some wood lumps, and finish cooking until done. Lately I have been using a KC style BBQ sauce (Zarda's) cut with a bit of bourbon, and a bit of added honey, basting during the last 15 minutes or so, and basting once again right after I take the chicken off the grill.

This may not be slo-smoked, but the skin is fantastic, the chicken has that great smoky taste, and it is so simple. I just finished a whole chicken I simply split into halves and grilled, and earlier this week I grilled some thighs the same way. Not sure if it would qualify in the competition circles, but who cares? It was some of the best tasting BBQ chicken I've ever done.

(P.S., I'd send some pron, but who gets off on a pic of clean picked chicken bones?

Gosh, what great research! But I wonder...

I really enjoy doing my chicken HnF. Mostly I just set the old Weber up in the usual way - coals on one side, empty on the other. After whatever rub I am in the mood for, I direct grill the chicken over the coals, flipping often enough not to burn, but giving enough time to get the skin nice and crispy. Then I move the chicken over to indirect, add some wood lumps, and finish cooking until done. Lately I have been using a KC style BBQ sauce (Zarda's) cut with a bit of bourbon, and a bit of added honey, basting during the last 15 minutes or so, and basting once again right after I take the chicken off the grill.

This may not be slo-smoked, but the skin is fantastic, the chicken has that great smoky taste, and it is so simple. I just finished a whole chicken I simply split into halves and grilled, and earlier this week I grilled some thighs the same way. Not sure if it would qualify in the competition circles, but who cares? It was some of the best tasting BBQ chicken I've ever done.

(P.S., I'd send some pron, but who gets off on a pic of clean picked chicken bones?

:clap2: Revkab what i think it is that there are so many people using things like cabinet smokers and such that aren't the best chicken smokers so folks are looking for a way to get decent bite through skin from what they are cooking on.

I don't really know of this stuff to rub on chicken but like you i turn out the tastiest bite through chicken and it couldn't be simpler and just involves charcoal wood and fire. Now i do apply olive oil before my rub but could do with out that also. They could be talking competition stuff but all i care about is taste.

Excellent. Thanks for doing this. I still haven't tried thighs yet, but want to. Seems very time intensive though.

Sounds like scraping the under side and applying mayo on the outer skin was your favorite.
Now, what would they taste like with Miracle Whip salad dressing instead of mayo? :idea:
geez, this guy did a great job and took lots of time to do work for others, please let us know how your experiment comes out...

the mayo trick works really great on reg oven chicken, use instead of an egg / milk wash and rollin crumbled dorito chips, great oven chicken..

Huge thanks OP! Not only detailed explanations, and LOTS of different methods, but great pictures too.

This is exactly what we do when cooking for ourselves in the off-season of competition. (this type of experimentation gets expensive when attempting to do it with briskets!)

From what it sounds like, mayo, no-scraping seems like the winner of flavor/ease.

One thing you didn't mention, that always concerns me with chicken, is the smoke flavor. Too many barriers (skin, mayo, rub) sometimes can prevent enough smoke from getting in, while lower cook temperatures can easily allow too much, giving you that wood-flavored piece of chicken. How would you say these came out on that front?

Back