Need whole hog help, in over my head

AJP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok so the guys at work know I am into smoking and do a decent job at it. We have a guy retiring from work and we were kicking around the idea of a whole hog since we will have a ton of people at the going away party. Well I was told we are doing a whole hog and I am in charge of the cooking, and building a pit :eek:

I found a simple pit to build based on these designs http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2007/03/cooking-whole-hog-on-cinder-block-pit_19.html and I have acquired all the needed items. Now my question is this, how long can I expect to cook this, and should I rub, inject, baste, marinate, or what.

Please help me so I don't ruin the party :oops:

Thank you, at least the first post didn't tell me I was a total moron.

Thank you, at least the first post didn't tell me I was a total moron.

I would never do that :)

I just noticed that my link was to Jeanie's underground pig cook, so it may not help. I don't know if she posted the concrete block cook on here or not. I'll look for it.

This is the one I did last year for the 4th... Now the Pig Fears ME!!!! (Heavy Pron)

Sorry, but I moved the pron around so here it is...

The Rack...
DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

The Pig
DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0084.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

It really didn't turn out this dark but with the back lighting it looks darker than it was...

DSCF0091.jpg

Hope this helps!

Thanks Captain Ron lol

Jeff how long did it take and what temps were you cooking at? Also rubs injections anything?

That cowgirls link is awesome. I def have to try it. I wonder where the fire gets air from though. I know you want it to smolder and stay low the whole time but won't it just choke itself out right quick?

That cowgirls link is awesome. I def have to try it. I wonder where the fire gets air from though. I know you want it to smolder and stay low the whole time but won't it just choke itself out right quick?

I would imagine since it is just a piece of tin lying on top and not sealed tight it just sucks it in from the top.

Ok so the guys at work know I am into smoking and do a decent job at it. We have a guy retiring from work and we were kicking around the idea of a whole hog since we will have a ton of people at the going away party. Well I was told we are doing a whole hog and I am in charge of the cooking, and building a pit :eek:

I found a simple pit to build based on these designs http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2007/03/cooking-whole-hog-on-cinder-block-pit_19.html and I have acquired all the needed items. Now my question is this, how long can I expect to cook this, and should I rub, inject, baste, marinate, or what.

Please help me so I don't ruin the party :oops:

Hey...that's my blog and pit. :-D

The pit isn't air tight. I like to inject the shoulders and hams, also rub the pig with oil and use a light coat of dry rub.

The heat source is at the ends and drip pans in the bottom of the pit keep any drippings from flairing up.
If it's a small pig I'll marinade..anything over 75lbs I just inject.
The time will depend on the size of your pig.
Don't get in a hurry... people make the mistake of thinking it's not cooking fast enough so they add more heat. It's best to keep it low. (at least on my block pit) You can raise the heat at the end to crisp up the skin.
My horizontal wood burner is a whole different story.

Thanks volkanator! :cool:

Hey...that's my blog and pit. :-D

The pit isn't air tight. I like to inject the shoulders and hams, also rub the pig with oil and use a light coat of dry rub.

The heat source is at the ends and drip pans in the bottom of the pit keep any drippings from flairing up.
If it's a small pig I'll marinade..anything over 75lbs I just inject.
The time will depend on the size of your pig.
Don't get in a hurry... people make the mistake of thinking it's not cooking fast enough so they add more heat. It's best to keep it low. (at least on my block pit) You can raise the heat at the end to crisp up the skin.
My horizontal wood burner is a whole different story.

Ok thank you, I'll make sure an let everyone know how it goes. I'm thinking for ease I'll just inject as I don't want to have to try to marinade the hog. Also I think we are getting one with the feet and head removed, that shouldnt change anything should it?

That won't change anything.
Also you can mop if you like. Mopping lets a lot of heat out of the cinderblock pit and I'm not really sure if it's worth it.
When I roast one uncovered I mop.

Hope it turns out well for you, feel free to shoot me a pm if you need to.

Last question, we want to eat around 5 or 6 what time should I start this to be safe?

what size of pig is it?

forgot to ask too.. will it be butterflied?

I wish I knew that, I called the guy that is getting it and he said average size. I said average is anywhere from 80-250lbs, he didn't know any more than that.

I wish I knew that, I called the guy that is getting it and he said average size. I said average is anywhere from 80-250lbs, he didn't know any more than that.

I'd plan on at least 10 hours. It's hard to say without knowing the size.
Butterflied will cook a little faster. When it does reach the internal temperature you want.. let it sit for at least 20 to 30 minutes before diving in. The juices will redistribute.
If the ribs get too dark while cooking, cover with foil.

Plan on having a two hour cushion. It really helps. You can leave the pig in the pit when it's finished and let the hot coals die down.
Another thing to consider. Cold outside weather will definately make the cook take longer.. lol I've cooked them during a snow storm and it was no fun. lol

My computer is giving me trouble today... If I disappear, it died. :biggrin:

Cowgirl gave me enough courage to do it and I wish I'd of kept better track of what we did. There are no pics so of course it never happened but it did.

We figured 4Kgs (10lbs) an hour and it came in a bit more than that but not by a lot. The pig was 83kgs (or that's what we paid for) we put it on at 3pm on Saturday took it off at 12:45 on Sunday. Wrapped and left till 2:30. Then had a pull fest. It was no piglet and I think cooking it very low and slow was a good thing.

The rest after is important I think. We let it set up wrapped in a couple of disposable survival blankets. Those heavy duty tin foil things.

We pretty much pulled the whole thing actually. Though skin was at a premium.

The site that got me interested in a pig roast was the 3 guys from Miami. There are other sites out there but it's the one that got me thinking.

http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

I've been asked to do it again this year so it must have worked out ok. Still got all the block but one so ....

Thanks Captain Ron lol

Jeff how long did it take and what temps were you cooking at? Also rubs injections anything?
If I recall the pig was about 85 pounds dressed. I didn't inject but I did do a real nice heavy coat of Mike Mills 'Magic Dust' that I found in his book 'Peace, Love, and BBQ' (great book BTW) and I rubbed down the skin with olive oil. I want to say that she cooked at 250* for about 13 hours on my Lang. I know that I spun her around once about 7 hours in because the butts were getting done faster than the hams.

For serving after about an hour rest, I just put the rack with the pig on a table, split the skin along the back bone and removed only one side and put out tawngs for picking... When that side was done, we spun her around and removed the skin from the other side.

I did one Jeanie's way and let me tell you, it was a lot of fun and the best pig I ever ate. Just follow her direction and you cannot lose.....Guaranteed!!!

Attachments

• pig roast 020.jpg
    pig roast 020.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 112
  • pig roast 019.jpg
    pig roast 019.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 112
  • pig roast 004.jpg
    pig roast 004.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 112
  • pig roast 007.jpg
    pig roast 007.jpg