• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trimming spare ribs

Oldpro1946

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going to try some spare ribs Sunday for the first time. After many tries at BB's, 4 hrs @ 250, no foil, I get them like I like them. I think I will try the spares @250 for 5 hrs? But the question is, why do people trim the spares so they become St. Louis ribs? Aren't they trimming away lots of "good stuff"? I thought I'd smoke them untrimmed, any suggestions? Thanks.

Either way is OK same result. I trim mine because I like the burnt ends. The St. Louis style makes a better presentation if that's important. Eat well.

Triming them gets rid of the cartilage and makes a nice looking/nice eating rib. Cooking it full you have the cartilage to deal with while eating it

For me presentation is important. They look pretty well all the same shape. As said cartilagen are really unlike to bite so ... Another problem solved!

If you don't want to do a St. Louis cut, Aaron Franklin has a good video on ribs. Its a mix between whole spares and St. Louis. He calls it a Kansas City cut. I think they still have a nice presentation to them for backyard cooks.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSFdddaRnk"]BBQ with Franklin: Ribs part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

I just leave 'em whole. The cartilage just makes it fun. BE the rib...

ribs93_zps84623a4f.jpg

:becky:

Untrimmed spares are messier to eat. That is the only down side I see. I think the flavor is better.

I trim them to St. Louis for a few reasons. First it looks good and it's what people think of when they think ribs. I trim the belly from the rib tips then throw everything on the smoker after putting rub on everything. The trimmings are usually done first and can be cut up for little snacks or used to see how the cook is going.

Your plan is solid, however I think 275 is a better temp for ribs Guerry those bones look amazing may be one day RedHot will show you how:p

Spares

Next time with spares, smoke them whole trim afterwards.
I used to trim the spares to St Louis style, but it was a major pain trimming the tips to be ground for sausage.
DanB

To me, the cartilage in the tips is no different to deal with than the bones in chicken wings. Except that there is more meat. People handle chicken wings with no problem, in fact, they pay money to buy them special. Growing up, I was the only one to eat wings, otherwise they got pitched.

Forgive me if this was already stated but you can feel like a joint between the big bones and the smaller ones. Cut along the line.

Back