First cook on stick burner, OK Joe's off set

Southstar Jeff

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
It smells great and the fatty that cam off first tastes great, but have to get a better handle on temps and hot spots. Much different the a BGEgg!
View attachment 72241

View attachment 72242

Does being determined enough to smoke in the driveway under a pop up canopy in the rain make me a redneck?

More to follow when the ribs are done. Assuming I don't ruin them.

Last edited:
Heck Im from New York and I use those quick shades in a blizzard to cook under, its just part of your addiction

Sweet

I'm over here in Dacula, almost smoked something for lunch. Raining over here too...

Redneck? Hardly. You're wearing a BMW hat w/ a Merc on the driveway... :)

Smokey Piglet...

Looks like she's got your smile.:becky:

attachment.php

Stick burners rule, if I have the time it's my go to cooker

Horizon Mfg. is owned by the original owner of OK Joe. He's still building pits like the Joe's. He sells diffuser plates that will fit in these cookers and help even out temps. I have one in my 20" and in conjunction with tuning plates I can get the upright close to the horizontal chamber temps. Don't think tuning plates will work very well in the 16" though as most folks say they're border line in 20" pits. However the diffuser plate should still be useful if you feel the need to try to make the temps in the horizontal more even.

Horizon Mfg. is owned by the original owner of OK Joe. He's still building pits like the Joe's. He sells diffuser plates that will fit in these cookers and help even out temps. I have one in my 20" and in conjunction with tuning plates I can get the upright close to the horizontal chamber temps. Don't think tuning plates will work very well in the 16" though as most folks say they're border line in 20" pits. However the diffuser plate should still be useful if you feel the need to try to make the temps in the horizontal more even.

I've been thinking of ordering that diffuser, but my main concern is the blast furnace temps at the firebox end of the cook chamber. Do you found it helps with evening out the temps in the horizontal chamber?
Edit:
Wait, I just read your post again see the answer right before me.. Thanks!

Last edited:
I still have a hot spot by the firebox with the diffuser. However my vertical is an add on and the firebox is undersized for the additional volume. I have to run my fire hot compared to what it should be. It would be worse without it.

...my main concern is the blast furnace temps at the firebox end of the cook chamber. Do you found it helps with evening out the temps in the horizontal chamber?

I have a couple 16" diameter offsets. Another Brethren got me pieces of 1/4" steel that are 6" x about 13" that go under the cooking grate. 5 plates in the bottom of the cooker, the first tight against the fire box and then increased gaps between them as you move away from the fire box does a great job of evening out temps in the horizontal. My Chuckwagon Cooker has a vertical on the end and with the tuning plates in the horizontal, temps in the vertical were close to the horizontal.

Smoking BBQ in the rain does not make you a redneck, it makes you a dedicated Q'er and a better cook. We tend to watch over the grill when it rains to ensure all is going well. In your case it certainly looks like it all went well.

Back