Smokey Joe Platinum

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just lucked out and ordered a SJP off of ebay for 59.99 including shipping not bad. One thing I don't like is no vents on the bottom. I've seen some pictures of modded SJP's here and was wondering what would I need to do this and roughly how much would it cost? I would like to see if it is possible to order the ash pan and vent from the smokey joe silver? Any help or pictures is greatly appreciated. I'm not married so I grill alot with the gfriend and buds and want the 22 1/2 in one touch but don't have the need for it just yet. And my SJS is just a little too small sometimes. This seems to be perfect and I do camp and need a portable grill alot. Do any of you guys use this grill and if so what do you think about it? Thanks!!

alot of discussions and pics at the wsm site under portable grills. i think its not necessarry. i also think it would be easier/better to get an 18 in kettle from craigs list and install short legs and a lid catch as someone else did. i would read everything and then do what makes ya happy.

alot of discussions and pics at the wsm site under portable grills. i think its not necessarry. i also think it would be easier/better to get an 18 in kettle from craigs list and install short legs and a lid catch as someone else did. i would read everything and then do what makes ya happy.

That would definitely work. I really like the metal bar that clips up over the handle on the SJP though. It is super easy to carry and when you are using the grill it locks into place like a slide a side to hold the lid when you are checking meat etc.

I appreciate the info guys. One more question do normal 18 1/2 cooking grates fit on this unit? I would like to buy the hinged cooking grate. Don't you love grilling I have so many grilling gadgets and grills my friends say "Do you really need all that?" and the answer is "Hell yes I do!"

I appreciate the info guys. One more question do normal 18 1/2 cooking grates fit on this unit? I would like to buy the hinged cooking grate.

I tried a standard 18.5 on both of my SJP's and it was too small by about 1/2 inch. I thought it might be the grate, but I had 2 extras lying around and got the same result. It fell through the indentation into the bottom part of the grill. I drilled holes and put 4 stainless steel bolts through the indentation to hold my standard grates up because I thought the quality of the one that came with it was cheap.

I bought a hinged one from Weber and it wouldn't fit.

One other thing I did was to buy an extra charcoal grate and put it over the original one but at a 90 degree angle. I have been using only lump in it and the smaller pieces were falling through the single grate.

Congrats on the new toy! I absolutely love my SJP...more so after I added the ash catcher and kettle blades. It's my "go to" grill for high temp sears (600-700 degrees).

Back