Some people say i love in the "hood" ... "Check this out"

TuscaloosaQ

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Some guys i work with or others have commented ..."man you aint scared to live here" my reply is why??? I grew up
Here.. My parents bought the house in1953 and when my mother passed away... 5 years ago she left it to me... The youngest of 6 kids.. My brothers and sisters all wanted me to have it.. They look at people and immediately assume anything.. Granted parts of the neighborhood has gone down.... But my neighbors can have or borrow anything i own.... And they will do anything for me... And yes most are black.... I was raised to respect people... But to bow down to no one... My neighbor Elaine called me at the refinery yesterday and said "Paul i am cooking yall some food tomorrow... This is what she sent.. Collards... Mac and cheese.. Chicken....yams... And i aint sure whT the other is. But it is good.... All seasoned... Soul food... Yes i am sure bacon grease was involved... James her husband and my friend is so funny... He will walk in my house... Look in the cabinet get a couple V-8's talk a minute and head out... Makes me smile every time... Don't always judge a book by the cover.. You might just be wrong...

Sharon and James and Elaine's. Grandchildren... They are fine folks

And i always leave my keys in my vehicles

Last edited:
Can you send some of that food out here?

That other dish looks like red beans and rice (or maybe Hoppin John). Better send it out here right away so I can taste it.

Last edited:
The first half of my childhood, I grew up in a very poor Black neighborhood, we lived over a bridge on ag land. Still, we knew folks and they knew us. I came to know these folks as people, and still feel at home with everyone. That looks like some excellent food.

That is why I love BBQ and Southern food

Wow totally different world from where I live at. Not because of the color of their skin or anything of the sort but to walk in to a man's home and do that in the area I live would get you shot or punched. White or black or purple doesn't matter at all up here you just don't do that. I am talking even just friends.

If anyone comes to my house they better call first and ask if it's ok and they better not go into my cupboards without asking.

Different cultures I guess but here that would come off as very rude. Not calling your friend rude or anything of the sort just saying up where I live you just can't do that. A guy I work with said Oakland is like that too.

I am very willing to share what we have but if someone wants something of mine you have to ask first. Want to come over? Then you ask first unless you are invited over by myself or my wife.

I would punch my best friend that I have known my whole life if he ever did that. I would honestly feel disrespected if he did what your friend did.

Just different cultures as I am sure your friends are great people. It just floors me you don't have an issue with that.

Food looks great hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Wow totally different world from where I live at. Not because of the color of their skin or anything of the sort but to walk in to a man's home and do that in the area I live would get you shot or punched. White or black or purple doesn't matter at all up here you just don't do that. I am talking even just friends.

If anyone comes to my house they better call first and ask if it's ok and they better not go into my cupboards without asking.

Different cultures I guess but here that would come off as very rude. Not calling your friend rude or anything of the sort just saying up where I live you just can't do that. A guy I work with said Oakland is like that too.

I am very willing to share what we have but if someone wants something of mine you have to ask first. Want to come over? Then you ask first unless you are invited over by myself or my wife.

I would punch my best friend that I have known my whole life if he ever did that. I would honestly feel disrespected if he did what your friend did.

Just different cultures as I am sure your friends are great people. It just floors me you don't have an issue with that.

Food looks great hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Guess it is different cultures... Heck James comes and gets my lawn mower.. He never has to ask... .. The south is different in many ways.. My wife is from Cleveland... And she even said that people in the south were much more hospitable... Not knocking anyone from the north... When i say hospitable .. I am referring to waving at people... We say yes mam to everybody... Beleive me.. I have lines that people cant cross.. There just different lines...... James has told me many times i treat him better than his family.... I get satisfaction out of that... He was very good to my 90 year old mother... At 6:00 am he at times would bring her fried catfish.. Homemade biscuits and gravey... Rice and eggs... And if i aint at home.. Do not go milling around at my house... He will show up... And James kinda looks like that guy on the movie green mile... He is my buddy....

I get real tired of being told 'yes ma'am' all the time, Southerners must be blind! :becky:

If you are talking Oakland, CA, then no sir, that would not be true, unless you are 'family', you do not go walking into or onto anyone's property unannounced. If you are 'family', then you know how to do it.

My close friends and family know they are welcome to anything in my kitchen and garage.

Good niebour friend

My friend next door and I use what ever we need from each other and if either is not home you just go help your self. When you look for something and not there just him if he has it no problem it didn't go far. It comes sooner or later home. It works for us.

The title was some say i live in the hood .. But i could not edit it... But guess i love in the hood also...

Last edited:
I don't remember thinking you were in the hood when we picked up our coker. The first house I bought the neighborhood started going downhill a little. I never feared for me or my family. I treated everyone with respect and got the same in return. My neighbors were vandalized but never happened to us. I was the guy that fixed kids bikes, taught them to play basketball, made sure they went to school and had them play on my softball team. Those kids made sure nobody messed with us or our property. Good people are everywhere even where you don't expect to find them.

Very good post Paul. My dad was in the army for 20 years.we always had neighbors from all races and colors.eveyone was always equal and everyone looked out for everyone when most of the men were gone.we met some really wonderful people from all over the world.:clap2:

Very nice for you to have such warm relationships with your neighbors.

In my case, my neighbor borrows nearly everything I own, but he usually waits till I leave and asks my wife. It only gets worse because he never returns anything he borrows. I just had to "borrow" my own pressure washer to clean the patio this weekend!

Some guys i work with or others have commented ..."man you aint scared to live here" my reply is why??? I grew up
Here.. My parents bought the house in1953 and when my mother passed away... 5 years ago she left it to me... The youngest of 6 kids.. My brothers and sisters all wanted me to have it.. They look at people and immediately assume anything.. Granted parts of the neighborhood has gone down.... But my neighbors can have or borrow anything i own.... And they will do anything for me... And yes most are black.... I was raised to respect people... But to bow down to no one... My neighbor Elaine called me at the refinery yesterday and said "Paul i am cooking yall some food tomorrow... This is what she sent.. Collards... Mac and cheese.. Chicken....yams... And i aint sure whT the other is. But it is good.... All seasoned... Soul food... Yes i am sure bacon grease was involved... James her husband and my friend is so funny... He will walk in my house... Look in the cabinet get a couple V-8's talk a minute and head out... Makes me smile every time... Don't always judge a book by the cover.. You might just be wrong...

Sharon and James and Elaine's. Grandchildren... They are fine folks

And i always leave my keys in my vehicles

And that little girl is so stinking cute... Just look at here with that bad Alabama cheerleading uniform.. And them ribbons in her hair...

That was a great testimony, Paul. We all need to remember that in Gods eyes we are all his children. At 70 years old, I still remember the 60's and 70's when certain groups were all about "Equal Rights". I finally came up with my own thoughts about this, and said that "Equal Rights is a product of Equal Responsibilities". I just wish we could all get along. All of this killing and hate is just a cancer on our society. Thank you.

I should have waited till Saturday to bring the cooker, could of had lunch and gone to the game.

Maybe next time.

Paul I built my house on the "wrong" side of the tracks seven years ago. People around here actually say hello to each other and look out for each other.

OMG i just got home from the refinery.. And ate a plate of the food... Lordy Lordy... It was off the freaking chain delicious ...seriously it was so good... The funny thing is my buddies that live in the uppity neighborhoods are always getting there stuff stole... Me.. I don't have a problem at all... Imagine that... On another note after work went and picked up the 400 pound hog i had processed.. My freezer is packed.. I was thanking God for his wonderful bounty and was saying i hope i can bless someone with some of the meat..

Back