Please rate the brisket in the pic

Votes: 8 6.3%

Votes: 26 20.5%

Votes: 69 54.3%

Votes: 20 15.7%

Votes: 2 1.6%

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
Tony, taking a dump and not wiping may be easier too, but I go the extra mile.:razz:

Mista, 1st box the meat looks good but 7 is what I saw. The 2nd box I give a 7 because the foil was uneven. :wink:

Either it is a meat contest or it isn't.

Lettuce... we don't need no stink'n lettuce!

BTW, wiping is a matter of good hygiene around my place, not sure I get the analogy. :wink:

Actually, I wasn't agreeing that it is easier, I was more in agreement that taste and tenderness are more important.

Tony, I can tell from your sig "no need for" that you are the type of guy who is very head strong and probably are always right. I can be that way too. I can be a bossy sum beotch, moody at times, but you can reason with me. Hear me out.

When I first started competing I thought that garnish was a waste of time but after practicing it became clear to me that there is more to it. Its the building process, trying to make it perfect as fast as I can so the meat stays warm. The satisfaction I get when I see a 9 on our sheet for appearance makes it worth the extra effort. When we build our boxes, we have fun doing it, we really do, and I suspect others who score well feel the same. Plus it just looks better then just meat in a box. :razz:

Tony, I dont know if you cook KCBS or not, but if you dont, why would you give a fark? :wink: Seriously, I dont care if other comps or whatever garnishs or not. Whatever rules that a contest has, Im ready. We cook 1 unsanctioned contest a year that doesnt use garnish. We won that sucker last year and I never complained.

Yeah, there is the possibility that I might be a little headstrong :icon_pissed, but will usually admit when I am wrong. I cook IBCA and enjoy doing so. I see a lot of references to folks expressing displeasure in the KCBS judging system, so I like them to know that there is an alternative out there. I have not to date seen a post complaining about IBCA judging. Not that I haven't found some judges to be taste bud challenged...:wink:

My reference to knowing good BBQ came from someone who is a Certified KCBS judge who recieved a tongue lashing because his table gave low scores to all of the boxes that came accross their table at a particular event. Myron Mixon's boxes included. He defended himself saying he knew what good BBQ tasted like and I then realized his dilemma. BTW he does post here and may chime in.

IBCA utilizes a blind scoring system where other than the final table you really never know what preliminary tables you product lands on. Also each table will offer up the same number of boxes to the subsequent table.

Therefore if you have 50 entries, You might have 3-4 preliminary tables that will each send six or more boxes forth to the final table where the judging process starts all over again. Also you might have three rounds of tables or four depending on the number of competitors.

Here is the IBCA rules website, http://www.ibcabbq.org/topbar/rul.html
I think you can follow how we do it based on this page.

I do not think that we (IBCA) have ever considered offering judging classes. That said, the head judges are trained but they do not actually do the judging, They just oversee the tables to ensure that folks (normally volunteers for the sponsoring charity) don't talk amongst themselves and that they don't come for dinner.... On many occasions we might have a head judge and several other folks who assist watching the tables. My wife and daughter will halp out at about half of the events that I cook at each year.

Headstrong????? who me????

Tony, take a breath IBCA & TGCBCA have issues also, like having just a 1-10 for each judge? I would like to see 1-10 for appearance, taste. tenderness each. the TGC will be requiring two chickens to be turned in starting in June for appearance reasons.

I personally don't believe that pot roast brisket & sweet Arse ribs should win or place in Texas, but they do & If they want it rubbed in the ground before turn in well thats what I will do if thats what it takes. And tell me why we need foil in the damn box for??

ALL sanctioning body's have issues there is no perfect one yet.

Mista I would give it a 6 for appearance you should of trimmed the ends to fit the box.

Back