Building a pellet cooker

C

ChiliMacDaddy

Anybody here have any experience or knowledge in DIYing a pellet cooker?
I've been wanting to build one for a few years now but never can find a good design or set of plans/pics. I used to own a couple of FEC-100s so I got the basic jist downpat on how they work. But the pellet mechanisms are not cheap from the typical BBQ sources.

While perusing the web and ebay awhile back, I see there are quite a few sources for cheap pellet stove auger assemblies, fire pots, controllers, etc. And there isn't all that much different between how a pellet stove and a pellet cooker operate. Seems like it wouldn't take too much moolah to fabricate something a little different, what with the availability of parts out there.

Anybody ever built a pellet cooker before?

Nope. If I built a pellet pooper, these guys would have me commited.

Been looking for an old pellet stove to disect. Not so available in sunny So Cal.

We have built a couple of pellet cookers... One out of a kingfisher, one out of a proofing oven.

We were trying to go simple... The biggest complaint about using one in comps is that boards go out, augers jam, etc. So we were (are) trying to build a better mouse trap.

We have been trying to use a gravity feed, and no forced air. It has been successful, sometimes. If you can get a good draw, the pellets will burn nicely without forced air, but unless you have an insulated unit, you need the forced air to generate enough heat to keep thing cooking.... (or multiple firepots.) It's way to nasty out right now... but if we get a break in the cold/ice next before Christmas, I will snap some pics of what we have done so far.

Different approach but much cheaper and less problems with electronics and augers may be to build the pellet smoker device that Norcoredneck illustrates in his post down below. It probably could operate off your car battery or cig lighter at a competition with little or no problems. Only draw back would be you still would need to use a traditional source of heat. Just a thought.
Dave

We have built a couple of pellet cookers... One out of a kingfisher, one out of a proofing oven.

We were trying to go simple... The biggest complaint about using one in comps is that boards go out, augers jam, etc. So we were (are) trying to build a better mouse trap.

We have been trying to use a gravity feed, and no forced air. It has been successful, sometimes. If you can get a good draw, the pellets will burn nicely without forced air, but unless you have an insulated unit, you need the forced air to generate enough heat to keep thing cooking.... (or multiple firepots.) It's way to nasty out right now... but if we get a break in the cold/ice next before Christmas, I will snap some pics of what we have done so far.
Yes, I would like to see some pix if you get a chance.
But I can't see where you are going to be able to get around the forced air feature. Every pellet burner I've ever seen had it in some fashion or another.

What I'm envisioning is a box that's sized similar to the Stumps clone that Keri & Robert of Oklahoma put together (look here) http://tinyurl.com/ytg682 but instead of using a gravity fed charcoal firebox, substitute in a pellet assembly of some sort.

Anyway, that's the very basic concept so far. I've collected some parts pix and an engineering overview of how the electronics should work on a pellet stove. I think the main thing is finding a reasonably priced auger assembly that could be easily incorporated into the design. An auger assembly would be sort of difficult to DIY, imo. But I think the rest of the components could be fabricated without much difficulty.

Look forward to see what you've done. No hurry for me. Weather is rotten here too. Besides, I've been mulling this project over off and on for quite awhile so what's a few more weeks or months? :mrgreen:

That's a nice link there.
Looks like great minds think alike :biggrin:
Gives me some good ideas to consider.
Thanks!

There are a lot of ideas to mull over on the site that Yelonutz posted.Also many discussions on thoughts and theory.

Been looking for an old pellet stove to disect...

2nd post, eh, Pat? I'm surprised it took you so long.

As soon as I saw the topic (DIY Pellet Smoker), I knew you'd get sucked into this thread like its was gravity...

Can't you get some of your aerospace pals to do some R&D and post a 3D CAD file for us???

I have belonged to the other site mentioned almost as long as i have belonged here. I check it reguarly and post once in a while. Lots of old school craftsman on that site. I have posted links mentions there of this site. The owner "Smokin Jim" has joined this site. I have passed along info from there also. Lot's of Canadians, interesting to see what there stores offer that ours don't.

What about a stoker or guru to act as the forced air system. as pellets get going the fan would cycle to maintin temp???

ummmm Gee I gotta ask the question... WHY PELLETS? Isnt there a shortage of smokable pellets? Most of the heating pellets I know of are Douglas Fir...Just how many manufacturers are there of Smoking Pellets?

ummmm Gee I gotta ask the question... WHY PELLETS? Isnt there a shortage of smokable pellets? Most of the heating pellets I know of are Douglas Fir...Just how many manufacturers are there of Smoking Pellets?

No shortage of food quality smoking pellets that I am aware of.
Many mills and suppliers to choose from.

And, you are correct-- we can not burn heating pellets in a smoker.
Would love to, because they are cheaper by far.

TIM

Okay got a new bug. Checked out a Traeger and a louisiana pellet grills today. Lets say someone who gets a thrill trying to make something instead of buying it wants to make a pellet cooker. Would it be better to feed pellets at a controlled rate and control temp by controlling airflow (fan), or constant air flow and control temp by feeding more pellets? Need input incase I come across some idiot who doesn't already have too many projects going. :eusa_clap

Back