Power Problems

DeanC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know a couple of you guys cook with FE's at contests so I will try my luck here. I bought a generator that was safe for electronics to run mine when not at home and it made my digital display go crazy. Tried a few things, didn't work, moved on to a true sine inverter/deep cycle batter/charger set up--same result. Even tried a second inverter that was modified wave and still the same. Anyone have any suggestions, I really can't throw any more money at the problem and don't want to run it off the supplied power at competetions. BTW, it runs like a champ at home. Thanks.

Not trying to pimp another forum, but you might ask your question over at The BBQ Forum, there are a ton of folks there that use an FE for comps and they can probably help you out. Fast Eddy also stops in from time to time there, so you can ask him directly.

Good Luck!

James.

JamesB said:
Not trying to pimp another forum, but you might ask your question over at The BBQ Forum, there are a ton of folks there that use an FE for comps and they can probably help you out. Fast Eddy also stops in from time to time there, so you can ask him directly.

Good Luck!

James.

James, there are alot of people here that have Fast Eddy's also. I think it's not the Fast Eddy he is asking about. Here is my take. The problem could be one of two things. The problem could be EMI or Electro Magnetic Interference or you have some sort of grounding problem. I don't know if you do it but you generator should have some sort of connection to earth. I would try that first.

Cookshack customer friendly

I don't know the answer, but I slept in a Holiday inn express.

1st. Stuart the President of Cookshack is the most customer friendly person I know. So call Cookshack. 1-800-432-0698

2nd The greatest amount of information about FE's can be found on the Cookshack Forum as to cooking on Fast Eddies FEC-100's

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/2091028883

I hope this helps.
Yours in BBQ
Merl

We always use the power provided by the contest. Our FE's are older and it could just be the boards in those units are more stable. I have nothing to which they can be compared. Although I cannot directly answer your question, I have an alternate solution you could consider. . . .

How about buying a couple of deep cycle batteries, a good sized inverter, and a battery charger. I'm not great with electronics, so someone else would have to tell you how to get these all hooked up to work together (I'm mostly talking about getting the two batteries wired together so they will both work with the system I'm about to describe). Set it all up so that you plug your FE into the inverter. Obviously the inverter is drawing power from the two batteries. Then the charger is hooked to the batteries and you draw contest power to continually charge those batteries. The results are two fold. One, you get the stable power you need to run your pit while constantly charging your batteries. Two, if the event would lose power, you have no worries, because those two batteries will run your pit for 24 - 30 hours, no problem. With this set up, you would never have to worry about whether an event has good power or not. Just a thought . . .

I like Merl's answer to call and talk to Stuart. I think he'll actually refer you to Tony, but give it a shot . . .

Rod

I'm with Rod on this one.

A FEC is my next cooker. Just gotta raise the $$.

I have done a ton of research on the power deal and am going to use the charger-battery-inverter set-up for clean, dependable power.
And, this will be used even when running a generator.
That setup allows electrical coverage to deal with generator mechanical problems or shutting down for re-fuel.

Let us know what ya do and how it works.

TIM

I tried that exact setup after the generator caused the problems. Pure sine inverter/deep cycle battery/charger. Same issues. I will let you know what Cookshack says. Just so their is no misunderstandings, I love this smoker, it has performed flawlessly when used, wish I had bought one five years ago. I just can't seem to work out the alternate power issue.

Those "switching" battery chargers/power supplies are awfully noisy electricly. Do you have the problem with the charger disconnected?

Kevin said:
Those "switching" battery chargers/power supplies are awfully noisy electricly. Do you have the problem with the charger disconnected?

Yes, same problem whether the charger is connected or not.

DeanC said:
Yes, same problem whether the charger is connected or not.

I'm thinking it is a grounding issue. I have used both the old FE at the shop, and an FEC-100 that was built in May '05. Both run fine on my Generator. I have run the old FE on a Coleman Sport (1850W), and I ran the FEC at the last several contests on my KGE3500ti - which is a sine inverter generator.

Have you checked the grounding to determine if it is good?

I have spent many a post at the Cookshack forum, those guys there will be the ones that can offer you the most help. You may have a bad circuit card, being that I don't remember seeing mention of this problem before. It may also be your extension cord. or perhaps something else that you may be running along with the smoker. But if I was to put money on it, I would guess that it's a faulty circuit card. The Cookshack reputation speaks for itself and I am sure they will get you fixed up if you call them.

Back