View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #34
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Are you reinforcing the corners of the larger grate? I see potential problems with racking of the grate that is that large. The cross-braces under the grate will not be adequate to prevent corner racking. Neither will the welds. You might want to consider traingular gussets at the vertical supports, extending a few inches along the side, this would provide some resistance to twisting of the frame.

Considering the weight of the racks, especially the larger one, a 24" or 30" diameter wheel is a better choice, your leverage will just be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Another option to the two gussets on the vertical channel would be to replace the flat bar bridge with a 1 piece gusset (red) that acts as a doubler in that area. If you really wanted to beef it up further you could cap or box both sides in (cap shown in green).
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrbakcrzy View Post
Try this design for your corner gussett's give the corner's a little radius the hole will let any fluid that collects drip through or heat up and vaporize.. Hope it helps...
^^^^^^^^This is why I am PROUD to be a member of this place. Everyone is always willing to give a hand.

Bob thanks for the heads up on the wheel size, I was thinking a smaller wheel (around 15-18") at first but after getting the small one built and then weighing it I wasn't sure how a smaller one would work

Thanks for the great ideas all. I knew I wanted to add some gussets but I wasn't sure what they were going to look like. Now we have all kinds of ideas.

I really like that idea for the doubler Will work for BBQ. I think we will incorporate that into the big one and I may add a triangle piece to the top of flat bar to make them look the same. The smaller rack is too far along to tear apart again

Awesome ideas keep them coming
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote