Mongo's Red Curry Beef Short Ribs...

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
We have a "Go Indian" themed Thowdown going on over in the TD section:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157822

If you've never seen, voted on or better yet a participated in a Throwdown you are missing out on a ton of fun. Please stop by and give it a look see. :becky:

Here's my humble entry for this category. Let's start off saying that I do realize that the dominant religion in India is Hinduism, so beef ribs would go over like a turd in a punchbowl. :tsk: Since I'm not Indian, and not Hindu, I'm going to ask for a hall pass on this cook. With that in mind, I present Mongo's Indian Red Curry Beef Short Ribs... :mrgreen:

First off, start with about four pounds of beef shorties...
edit_preview.php

Seasoned up with a little S&P and onto the Traeger for 3-4 hours of smoke...
edit_preview.php

In the meantime, assemble the ingredients for the red curry sauce...
edit_preview.php

Saute the shallots...
edit_preview.php

Add the ginger and garlic...
edit_preview.php

Add the red curry paste, fish sauce and water...
edit_preview.php

And finish it off with the coconut milk...
edit_preview.php

In the meantime, the shorties have been smoking along nicely...
edit_preview.php

After a good dose of smoke, some shrinkage from the bone and about 160 internal, I pull them off...
edit_preview.php

Then add them to the red curry sauce and put them back on the Traeger to braise for a couple more hours...
edit_preview.php

After a couple more hours they are probing like buttah...
edit_preview.php

Once the ribs were done, I wrapped them in foil and set them aside to hold. I then strained the sauce, skimmed the fat, added lime zest and juice and reduced it down to thicken. Keeping with the theme, the ribs are served up with Indian style carrot and spice infused basmati rice, as well as Gufarti (Indian style green beans)...
edit_preview.php

Please use the pic below for the money shot...
edit_preview.php

I know this is not authentic Indian cuisine, and Buccs is probably chitting a brick with me calling it curry. But the truth is we totally enjoyed it which is all that really matters. :tongue:

Thanks in advance for the zero... :thumb:

That is a farkin' great entry for the Thai throwdown. I can't wait for the voting thread to show up! :hungry:

(Seriously, I was thinking of currying my brisket, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it -- checked my insurance and didn't see a "Shiva strikes you down with a lightning bolt" clause, so thought I'd play it safe. :thumb:)

yeah...buccs is pretty right on about getting you an atlas :laugh:...but I'd definitely hit that.

I'm actually interested in some details on the Gufarti if you don't mind :thumb:

I'm actually interested in some details on the Gufarti if you don't mind :thumb:

Looks like I typo'd the beans... Should have read Gujarati. :tsk:

Ingredients

1 lb fresh green beans
4 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon whole black mustard seeds
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 freshly ground black pepper
1 hot, dried red chili

:mrgreen:

Lovely Thai grub.
Note to self: Christmas gift for Mongo MUST be an atlas.:doh:
:heh:

That is a farkin' great entry for the Thai throwdown. I can't wait for the voting thread to show up! :hungry:

yeah...buccs is pretty right on about getting you an atlas :laugh:

I heard from a highly educated, well traveled individual and was advised of the following:

"The Indians were tremendous traders and went along the Asian and African coast for many centuries. You see many of the same dishes throughout the region with little difference. Other than the use of beef, the only other thing that would suggest this is a Thai recipe is the fish sauce. Lime is one of the dominant flavors in Thai food (as is coconut milk), but both may be included in Indian curries as well. I've not heard of fish sauce being used in Indian cuisine, but I wouldn't be surprised, especially with the trading and influences. There is a tremendous amount of variation in cuisines, especially Indian."

This is obviously a classic case of "even a blind squirrel finds and acorn every now and then"... :bow:

Back