• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Monday Get-Together (Pron)

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My co-workers decided to have a get-together because some of the team members live out of town, and are only in Indy a few times a year. They asked me to do some BBQ, and I put together a couple of things. :biggrin1:

This was also the first cook on my new Char-Griller Outlaw w/SFB, and the maiden voyage was smooth sailing!

2 slabs of spares, one with S&P only, the other with my own homemade rub. I cut off the trimmings so I could have St. Louis Style cuts, but I never throw away the trimming; those become Rib Tips, which are at the heart of Indiana Barbecue. I also made 4 fatties, stuffed with various cheeses, and two of them were wrapped in bacon...

Everything is ready to go!

3 hours in, and the ribs are ready to foil. They have a beautiful color too.

It's been 5 hours and the ribs are out of the foil and ready to finish the 3-2-1 process. I gave them another hit of apple juice to keep moistness alive!

This is some of the rib tips. No bones, just juicy, tender, nuggets of rib trimmings love!

This is a pepper-jack stuffed fattie with a very nice smoke ring!

Delicious and beautiful, just like I like them, spare ribs with my competition dry rub...

Juicy and full of flavor, my Texas Style S&P spare ribs...

All together, and ready to serve. Nothing left after the gathering... except what I snuck and put away for myself! :mrgreen:

We had a great time, and my new Char-Griller Outlaw made me proud! :grin:

Heck of a cook Tony, looks delicious!!

That is righteous!! Ribs are how I would imagine them to be.

That looks like money. I bet the out of towers had some nice words for you after that meal. I know I would :-D

Tony,
Other than the upside down charcoal pan to create some kind of reverse flow action, is there enything else you put underneath it (like ceramic tiles or firebricks)?

Do you use a pit temperature control (stoker or guru) fan on your sfb or just the vent?

I find that if I don't put a stoker fan in mine the smoke and heat comes out more out of the intake vent than the exhaust chimney.

I have a hard time getting higher than 200F grate level temp in mine unless I put my charcoal basket inside the cooking chamber and cook a la Kettle.

Sorry if I hijack.

Back